Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running these? I am looking for a set of wheels for a new build and am considering a few options. I want center lock compatible, relatively light and high quality. Considering these wheels, Fulcrum Red Metal One and Zero as well as building up a set of wheels with DT 240's and Stans Flow rims.

Most likely leaning towards the XR 1450 wheels but I absolutely hate what they did with the writing on the rims!! This just stickers? Or is this painted on?

Anyone running the XR 1450's or either of the two Fulcrum wheelsets and have any feedback/input on them?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Those 1450's are pretty ugly! They might be stickers under a clear coat.

Why not go with a set of Industry Nine Ultralite Wheels on Stans at 1410 grams?
or why not go all out get the I9's on DT Swiss Carbon Rims at 1340 grams?

Attachments

·
Arnborg strik
658 Posts
I have had both

XR 1450 disc and Fulcrum Red meta Zero

The 1450 was to flexy for me,i ride tecnical Trails with a lot of roots.Weight is 90kg all geared up. the stickers on the rims is not clearcoated,so they will come easy of.
things i like about the DT is that they are very silent,and roll very very well.
They are also super easy to maintain.

The Red Metal Zero are very stiff indeed,and have a very nice finish.Lovely wheels.
freehub is rather noisy, i think they have 48pt engagement.
the rims are tubeless.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I would go for the Fulcrum Red Metal Zero. Been riding them for over a year with zero issues. Price / quality they are great and bomb proof. The original skewers are pretty heavy (128g), but just put in some Tunce AC 16/17's at 51g a pair (I was suprised to see how well they are designed and close firmly).

If you have the $$$ to go carbon, the Fulcrum Red Carbons are a good choice : they are UST and have no rider weight limit, where the DT Swiss carbon wheels have a 90kg limit (mentioned in German's Bike Magazine last month) and are non - UST. I know a guy who has them and he told me the rims are very shallow making it hard to convert them to UST using rim- strips (unless you like to gamble ;) )

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
i have a set of DT Swiss XR 1450's with enduro zero ceramic bearings.

the 1450's were upgraded to tubeless for Race King Supersonic 2.2 tires, using DT Swiss/Eclipse rim strip + tape, and a 60/40 mix of Hutchinson protect air and Stan's UST gloop (Stan's helps seal thin walls). once settled the tires hold air about as well as my Crossmax SLR's.

i've nothing to grumble about, well apart from they don't come with RWS steel skewers yet, just a set of regular shitey heavyweight DT QR. and the DT CL adaptors are pretty heavy - but 21g Alligator CL Adaptors can be easily sourced for under 12 dollars.

1450's are very quiet + responsive with no noticeable flex on the steep climbs & descents here in SoCal, i'm about 75kg all kitted up.

...with or without the stickers (which are easy to remove) they are a well built + fairly lightweight, stealthy wheelset (without the stickers).

(edit to take out reference to CRC + to add some pics).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.