Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all I'd like to say this forum rocks. so much information is shared from one expert to another. keep up to excellent work ! as this is my first post on mtbr forums please be gentle... :D

I can't decide between these two setups (both are about the same $$$):

1. Buying a complete, factory made, set of wheelsets DT Swiss XR 1540 (4.1 rim / 240s hub / aero' spokes) + tubeless kit for each wheel. (thinking that buying a complete factory made wheelset will help me sort out service problems, if occur, and getting a good treatment from DT's fellas ?).

OR :rolleyes:

2. Building a new wheelset made of 240s hubs, mavic XM819 rims, DT Swiss Spokes Revolution Stainless DB (2mm-1.5mm) without needing the tubeless kit.

I'm aiming for a XC race/everyday wheelset which will hold up hopefuly for a few years, and having an option to use UST.

Save me ! :madman:

(thanks)

·
Registered
138 Posts
819 FOR SURE - very strong & UST . Dt - great hubs/weak rims Mavic - great rims/weak hubs. I have been flogging a 240/819 wheelset on a stumpy for over a year [ with nobby nic UST ] under my 100kg ass & as good as new.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sean newell said:
819 FOR SURE - very strong & UST . Dt - great hubs/weak rims Mavic - great rims/weak hubs. I have been flogging a 240/819 wheelset on a stumpy for over a year [ with nobby nic UST ] under my 100kg ass & as good as new.
thanks a lot sean ! although I'm a bit thinner (70 kg) I ride XC like FR'ing. no mercy on my bike, so indeed a bombproof rim is required.

I'm also more or less tending toward this option (240s/819), but having doubts service wise ? any reason to think that way ? My logic says that if I buy a complete wheelset from DT i'll get a better service from them if anything occurs.

by the way, to make the deal cheap I'm thinkg of getting the rear wheel 240s/819 and the front xt 756/819 (which is half the price of front 240s/819). shouldn't be a problem, eh ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've never had a complete DT factory wheel so can't comment on service there, but so long as you get a good build from a reputable business the 240/819 wheel will have just the same backup.
Nothing wrong with XT hub - my wife rides XT/819 wheelset front & rear - sounds fine to save a bit of dough
Hints for strength ; brass nipples NOT alloy & get the rear wheel [ & front if possible ] made up with thrubolt hubs & DT RWS thrubolt, rather than quickrelease. And go full tubeless for sure.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
sean newell said:
made up with thrubolt hubs & DT RWS thrubolt, rather than quickrelease.
DT RWS are really not worth the hassle. Not a very noticeable difference in stiffness and they are a pain...not to mention the price.

Should be happy with the 819 setup. The XT hubs will come in a little heavier though. Could check out the Stans Flow ZTR rims as well as the DT Swiss 5.1 - if you want to go true UST, stick with the Mavic.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pffft

eventually after all of my mumble jumble about 240s i ended up ordering this setup:

1 Hope Pro 2 Disc Front 32h Gold
2 Mavic XM819 Disc Rim 32h Black 26inch
3 DT Swiss Spokes Revolution Stainless DB Black 2mm-1.5mm Lightweight XC Only
4 Hope Pro 2 Disc Rear 32h Gold
5 Mavic XM819 Disc Rim 32h Black 26inch
6 DT Swiss Spokes Revolution Stainless DB Black 2mm-1.5mm Lightweight XC Only
7 DT Swiss Nipple Upgrade Brass Pro-lock Black Set Pair of Wheels(DH/FR/XC)

+

Mavic Tubeless Valve Kit Fits All Mavic Tubeless Wheels X 2

+

Building the wheels.

= $450 (VAT + Shipping included).

:thumbsup:

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Good deal...sounds like you went the CRC route. I'm having a set of hope pro II's built up Monday on the Stans Flow rim. Should have looked into a set of the floating rotors as well. The gold rotor looks sick in person.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Good choice. I was just gonna suggest the Hope hubs. I've had my share of DTs (and teh old German Hugis), but these days I use XTR/XT and Hope hubs. They are all good and the DTs are IMHO very overpriced these days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts