Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed some "pinging" of spokes in my rear wheel.
I can consistently make this happen by putting weight on the saddle, holding the rear brake and rocking the bike a bit.

Upon inspection I saw a couple spokes had a slight bend in them, I also tightened a couple loose spokes. The wheel seems to be true with the 'ol finger gauge.

I reached out to a local bike shop, and they said it would be mid-October before I can make an "appointment" for a wheel truing...but I ride my bike a couple times a week.

So, I figured I would pick up a spoke tension meter, a couple spokes and give it a college try with the zip tie truing method.

Questions I've got:
  1. Wheel states it uses DT Swiss Competition Race, but in retrospect I am 95% sure the LBS employee sold me DT Swiss Competition instead. Does it matter if I put a couple heavier (correct length, diameter, ect.) spokes on the wheel?
  2. How likely am I to mess up this wheel on a scale of 1-10?
  3. Any other advice?

·
Registered
165 Posts
So long that you use the tension meter you can do this yourself. Heavier (or different) spokes will have a different reading on the tension meter to the existing spokes, otherwise it should not matter.

Replacing a few spokes is easy. For that I would not even use a tension meter, just bring the wheel back to true. Once a spoke has some tension it will only need a few adjustments for the wheel to become true.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.