Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a wheelset to replace my Crossmax ST/XL wheels (1650-1700g). While something like the Easton XC One wheelset (1590g) is tempting, I'd like something a little stronger than the Crossmax.

I considered the Mavic Crossmax SL wheelset (1630g), but it looks too light, and I don't want to deal with the $50 spokes and other proprietary parts. Aside form the X1800, I'm also considering something like a Hope Pro II with a Mavic 717, 819 or DT Swiss 4.2d rim.

I would call my riding style somewhere between aggressive XC and AM, with some XC races thrown in. The bike is a Ti hardtail that currently weighs a little under 23 lbs (10.4 kg). Within the past couple years I've trashed an XT/DT Swiss 4.1 wheel, and severely damaged a Crossmax ST.

So, what is the consensus on the DT Swiss X1800? Is it stronger than a 4.2d-based wheel, or just heavier? Are the hubs any good?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'm sure the X1800 wheels are strong...not that I've used them, but the DT swiss rims that aren't the 4.2 all get good reviews.

You might also consider 2.2 tyres as a way of protecting the rims a bit more if you've not done so already

·
Registered
464 Posts
I haven't used the X1800s either but the rims in this wheelset are sleeved not welded like the 4.2d/XR400/EX500 rims.
The fact that they're a 28h wheelset might be an issue too, given that you've destroyed other stuff. It also depends on your weight.

I recently got a set of Pro2s on DT XR400 (4.2d's replacement) with DT Comp & Brass Prolock built up. I haven't had much time on them but so far I'm impressed with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.