Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a 5.1 DT Swiss Tubeless conversion kit but it didn't have the doublesided tape (eBay purchase). I have the 4.2 conversion kit and it looks like the tape is 20mm wide for this rim. Does anyone know if the 5.1 kit doublesided tape is any wider and if so, how wide is it? I want to see if I can go to the local Lowes or Home Depot to see if I can buy the equivalent 3M tape.
Thanks!

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Don't need the tape. Mine sealed without it, although it took lot of work and lots of Stans. I tried finding similar tapes at Home Depot/Lowes, and didn't find it. OfficeMax had 3M tape in similar width, but didn't last too long in terms of the glue holding the strip, especially if you are using Stans. Plus it took forever to get the tape off the rim.

I was about to give up and tried one last time without the tape, and to my surprise it worked.

You can also try using the Velox tape. That is what Stans recommends with the 5.1 rim and their strips.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
the other week i had to fix a DT Swiss 4.2 rim + 240 6 bolt hub wheelset, fitted with the DT/Eclipse tubeless conversion & Race King 2.2 Supersonic tire, there was a slow leak from the rim tape moving when inflating the tire.

'was out of the DT sticky tape so i used double sided tape from an artist shop, probably the same product as from any office supplies outlet. the roll was about 10x what you get in the kit + 10x cheaper.

anyway, i used a sharp knife to trim the tape down to 21mm on a glass cutting board (which was abit tedious) - but this time i made sure the rim strip had plenty of time to stick securely to the tape pressing them together several times with a cloth, and then waiting 24 hours before re-fitting the wheel & adding UST gloop - now the wheel holds pressure just like an SLR.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.