Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have experience with this combo. I had wheels built last week for my Racer X 29er using DT rims, King hubs and DT spokes. I am thrilled with the build but need to go tubeless. I live in Phoenix and cactus thorns are an everyday experience, so tubeless works best. I am using WTB Exi's (steel bead). I emailed Stan and he stated that he had not tried these rims yet and agreed with me that a 26er strip stretched over the 29er rims may work (same as Bontrager Disc only's). I tried the search function without success. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have not tried this, but...

Ive been using Stan's and a DIY version for about nine months. Do you have the Stan's strips yet? Are you asking about this cause you dont want to drop the cash before you know it will work?

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to order the strips but wasn't sure which would work. I may take the strips out of my 26er and try them when I get home. Just hoping someone had tried this and could offer insight.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Exis work well...

with Stans in my experience. I've used them on Speedcities, Bonty's, and WTB Speeddiscs. I used the rim strips withe the bonty's only but they should work with other rims - most are within a millimeter in width to each other. I'm here in PHX also - I know what you're up against - especially McDowell mtns. PM me sometime, we'll ride.

T

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tbone, a ride sounds good. I have used stans on multiple bikes now but without any experience with the DT rims. I have the bontrager disc only/stans/exi setup on my rig and have had great results.

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
stew said:
Does anybody have experience with this combo. I had wheels built last week for my Racer X 29er using DT rims, King hubs and DT spokes. I am thrilled with the build but need to go tubeless. I live in Phoenix and cactus thorns are an everyday experience, so tubeless works best. I am using WTB Exi's (steel bead). I emailed Stan and he stated that he had not tried these rims yet and agreed with me that a 26er strip stretched over the 29er rims may work (same as Bontrager Disc only's). I tried the search function without success. Any help will be appreciated.
Any luck or advice yet Stew, with regard to the DT 7.1 TK rims & Stan's? I'm not sure whether to get the 26" rim strip or the 29" for my DT wheelset. I am using the 29" strip in my other wheelset w/Bonty disc-only rims, and have just today noticed on the notubes site Mike recommends a 26" strip with this rim, but it's working fine so far (only 3 rides though).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.