Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running standard DT Swiss 240 disc hubs w/ Salsa skewers. I've seen these thru axle skewers for DT hubs and was wondering if I can run them. I've searched the forums and looked on DT's website but can't seem to figure out if I need a particular hub to run them or if I can use my existing hubs. Thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BCBlur.......Seeing those parts makes more sense now. So next question now. Is there a significant increase in stiffness running the thru axle setup?

·
NMBP
2,159 Posts
shanem said:
Thanks BCBlur.......Seeing those parts makes more sense now. So next question now. Is there a significant increase in stiffness running the thru axle setup?
You are going to get Shiggied if you don't use the correct term. You want a through bolt, not thru axle.

axle terms

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops. I actually just saw the sticky and read it. I meant to say "Is there a significant increase in stiffness running the thru bolt setup?"

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And one final question. Are there any special tools required to swap out the end caps to convert to thru bolts?

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
I did a set a while back and didn't need any special tools. I used a normal skewer to push out the old caps from the opposite side. If you have the older 240 (pre-240S), the endcaps also replace the outer seals; not the bearing seal, but the black seal that sits on top of the bearing seal.

I believe that the extra stiffness is due to the better and more consistent clamping force. The standard, QR setup has the same interface size (9mm in front and 10mm in back) with the hub sitting in the dropouts. This setup has the axles sitting in the dropouts instead. Also, my conversion actually dropped a couple of grams off the QR configuration.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just did this with my front... Maybe it's just placebo and wanting to feel a difference, but the front end does seem more planted and stable while cornering over rocks and roots.

Super easy process. Pull end caps out, put new end caps in. Done.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got my thru bolts installed today. Twas a snap, save for knocking the whole cassette body off when tapping out the drive side cap. An extended search under the workbench revealed the missing star ratchet. If it weren't for that it would have only taken about five minute to do both wheels. I noticed an immediate difference in the front wheel. Going to go for a real ride tomorrow for a full evaluation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts