Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
It's different only in the cam action. A 'normal' QR is locked down with a lever which pushes a cam over center to make the lock, but the RWS uses a twisting / tightening action, like turning a nut onto a bolt to tighten the QR down.

I use the RWS skewers on my bikes and they help to stiffen up the fork and rear end a little, as you can get them really tight. Make sure to buy the alloy-blade version though, as the plastic blade version flex too much when you crank them down hard.

R.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Rainman said:
It's different only in the cam action. A 'normal' QR is locked down with a lever which pushes a cam over center to make the lock, but the RWS uses a twisting / tightening action, like turning a nut onto a bolt to tighten the QR down.

I use the RWS skewers on my bikes and they help to stiffen up the fork and rear end a little, as you can get them really tight. Make sure to buy the alloy-blade version though, as the plastic blade version flex too much when you crank them down hard.

R.
where have you seen this option? i just bought 9mm front and 10mm rear and there was no choice. i don't recall seeing this on their site either?

confused

mx

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
mx_599 said:
where have you seen this option? i just bought 9mm front and 10mm rear and there was no choice. i don't recall seeing this on their site either?

confused

mx
+1 :confused:

I love mine, but would kill to have an alloy lever instead of the fragile plastic ones.

·
Registered
78 Posts
daleksic said:
Thanks. I was just concerned as the skewer looked thicker than the standard skewer. At least the one that I'm looking at.
RWS skewers are available in standard QR sizes but also in 9mm front and 10mm rear thru bolt sizes which fit a standard fork/frame but require special hubs.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe i just bought the wrong wheelset then. Let me show you what I mean. I got the wheelset but they come with 2 different thinkness QR skewers...

I got the wheelset for an awesome price on eBay, and there it says that it is a QR skewer, but it looks a lot thicker than 9mm or 10mm...

All I'm trying to find out if it will fit my standard fork, or if I have to scrap the front wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's the thru bolt RWS and it looks like the front version. It should fit a standard QR fork so the question is does it fit your hub. Which wheels did you buy and did you get the skewers with the wheels?

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I got the complete set, I just wasn't sure if its going to fit my standard RockShox fork. The wheels, hubs and skewers are a set.

I got the wheels for $100 on eBay. They are the DT Swiss 420SL which i think come of an Specialized EPIC or Enduro. I talked to the guy selling it in the meanwhile and he assured me that it will fit, but I'm kinda skeptic looking at the skewer. I'm afraid it will not fit, or not fit properly. I don't want to kiss my front wheel goodby in the middle of a jump.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The RWS(20mm) that you have pictured will not work with the hub(9mm) pictured. A RWS Thru-bolt may work with any frame or fork, you just have to make sure you're hubs are compatible.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Jlar said:
A Standard QR is 9mm.
No it's not - the "standard" diameter of QR skewer rod is 5mm. The RWS thru-bolt system uses a 9mm skewer rod in the front (not 20mm) and 10mm skewer rod in the rear. To use the RWS thru-bolt your hubs must be compatible with the larger diameter of the skewer rod. I can't tell from the photo whether the hub is compatible. The 9mm thru-bolt fits fine in any standard fork that uses a conventional quick release - the issue is whether your hub can be converted or not.

·
Registered
620 Posts
cutthroat said:
No it's not - the "standard" diameter of QR skewer rod is 5mm. The RWS thru-bolt system uses a 9mm skewer rod in the front (not 20mm) and 10mm skewer rod in the rear. To use the RWS thru-bolt your hubs must be compatible with the larger diameter of the skewer rod. I can't tell from the photo whether the hub is compatible. The 9mm thru-bolt fits fine in any standard fork that uses a conventional quick release - the issue is whether your hub can be converted or not.
OK, my bad. Then when someone indicates a 9mm front hub, what does the 9mm represent?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Jlar said:
The RWS(20mm) that you have pictured will not work with the hub(9mm) pictured. A RWS Thru-bolt may work with any frame or fork, you just have to make sure you're hubs are compatible.
i don't see any 20mm RWS pictured...which post number? i think you made a mistake and are referring to the 9mm

mx

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.