Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week Dt Swiss launched an official kit to upgrade the 370 (it was a well known secret that this was possible, only the freehub seal seemed to be an issue for some)

Credit: Whizz Wheels

I decided to look around the german dealers and, low and behold, whizz-wheels.de already had in stock.

The stock kit comes with the 18t ratchets, so I pulled the trigger for the 54t ratchets as well to get the whole shebang.

I had already sourced polish clones of the Dt Swiss ring nut tools on ebay,

The installation was pretty straightforward except for the ringnut removal because I didn’t have a vise, so my LBS gave me a hand and loosened the ringnut for me for free.

The installation instructions (with IMHO unnecessary hub teardown) can be found here

Here are some pics :)

The kit with original 18t ratchets

The kit with the 54t ratchets

A close up of the freehub body

Everything installed!!!

The 3 pawl parts that came off the wheel

·
Registered
71 Posts
How's the difference in practice? There are occassions when quicker engagement would be nicer, but overall I'm telling myself it's not a dealbreaker. I guess that is the case till I have the experience from the other side...

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's the difference in practice? There are occassions when quicker engagement would be nicer, but overall I'm telling myself it's not a dealbreaker. I guess that is the case till I have the experience from the other side...
I need to get out and try this (as I said I only did the upgrade yesterday) but just from testing it a bit, the difference is very noticeable

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've already made a conversion without using the special kit. Do you maybe know if there's any difference between standard ratchet freehub and LN freehub? And do you know if it's possible to buy only the dedicated seal? I'd be interested into changing the seal to the proper one.

Also, here's a cheaper alternative for a 3 pawl ring removal tool - RING NUT REMOVAL FOR DT SWISS 3 PAWL HB052 (€19, $23)

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've already made a conversion without using the special kit. Do you maybe know if there's any difference between standard ratchet freehub and LN freehub? And do you know if it's possible to buy only the dedicated seal? I'd be interested into changing the seal to the proper one.

Also, here's a cheaper alternative for a 3 pawl ring removal tool - RING NUT REMOVAL FOR DT SWISS 3 PAWL HB052 (€19, $23)
Yes, the “slot” for the seal on the Ratchet LN freehub is like the one on the 3-pawl freehub (namely the seal also stays put on the freehub when one pulls it apart) The Ratchet freehub expects the seal to be seated on the hub body so it seals in a different way.

I also got my ring tools from bitul :) (one can see one of them in the pics above)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Bit of a thread revival... but thinking about this conversion for my gravel bike which comes with 370 hubs.

Looking at it, I wonder whether its possible to do without ordering the special tools... the old 3-pawl ring will be disposable/sacrificial so could perhaps be removed with a semi-ill fitting home made tool (I'm handy at such things), and the new star ratchet ring could possibly be installed by hand and tightened by applying torque to the free hub body/cassette (as if one was pedalling). Anyone who's done the conversion able to comment? Would be done prior to any riding/usage, which should aid removal of the 3 pawl ring.

By the time one buys the conversion kit, and tools (with shipping), its not too far off a new hub... and then I'm getting into the 'I might as well build a new wheel' territory... slippery slope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking at it, I wonder whether its possible to do without ordering the special tools... the old 3-pawl ring will be disposable/sacrificial so could perhaps be removed with a semi-ill fitting home made tool (I'm handy at such things), and the new star ratchet ring could possibly be installed by hand and tightened by applying torque to the free hub body/cassette (as if one was pedalling).
Even with the dedicated tool removing 3pawl ring is very hard. I'm afraid you won't do it with anything else and you can stay with a partially damaged ring but still sitting tight in the hub. Heating helps but still requires a lot of force.

Btw, for future readers. I contacted dt support and asked if there is some new seal which fits standard 350 freehub and 370 hub body, but they told me that the LN freehub is different than 350 and it fits the original 370's seal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Even with the dedicated tool removing 3pawl ring is very hard. I'm afraid you won't do it with anything else and you can stay with a partially damaged ring but still sitting tight in the hub. Heating helps but still requires a lot of force.
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'd need the removal tool then.

How about installation... need the tool as well, or simply install hand tight and tighten via cassette tool/whip and/or pedalling? Seems like it should work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How about installation... need the tool as well, or simply install hand tight and tighten via cassette tool/whip and/or pedalling? Seems like it should work.
Seems it should but I haven't try. However this ratchet tool is quite popular in bike services. I'm pretty sure someone close will have it, so you could ask them to tighten it. Make some calls and ask 🙂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts