Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I grab the outer edges of the large cassette, I get a little side to side wiggle with my rear hub. The cassette itself is not loose and is tight on the hub so I'm guessing the bearings need to be repacked and/or replaced. Is it possible to have this thing serviced or is it a sealed system? I've never broken down a hub before so I'm very cautious about tearing it apart. If it can be done, I'll likely take it to my LBS.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
ChipAllen said:
If I grab the outer edges of the large cassette, I get a little side to side wiggle with my rear hub. The cassette itself is not loose and is tight on the hub so I'm guessing the bearings need to be repacked and/or replaced. Is it possible to have this thing serviced or is it a sealed system? I've never broken down a hub before so I'm very cautious about tearing it apart. If it can be done, I'll likely take it to my LBS.
Is it the freehub body moving? Or is the cassette wiggling on the freehub? Some cssettes don't fit tight. I've shimmed them tight in the past by sliding slices cut from an aluminum soda can (or beer can if you prefer) in between the cassette and freehub body. Try looking at that first before you get into tearing it apart.

Good Luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Axle Nut?

Sounds to me like the axle nut is loose. Take off the wheel. Check which side the offending nut is on. Tighten the nut with you fingers or a spanner/wrench. Do not overtighten! Check the wheel spins is okay. Put the wheel back in the bike.

The bearings should be okay, they are sealed bearings. There are rebuilding instructions on the DT Swiss website (www.dtswiss.com).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was definitely play between the cassette and hub. I hadn't read the tip about the teflon tape yet so I just placed the soda can strips in a couple of key places and the problem is solved. Thanks guys!

P.S. The soda strips were a little bit of a pain so I'll try the teflon next time I remove my cassette. I'm assuming you wrapped it completely around the freehub body? How many layers? What's the longevity like with the tape - does it tend to break down or loosen significantly after a while?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.