Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few of the Hugi 240 hubs while the normal maintenance does not require special tools however I need to replace one of the bearing on the drive side that need to have the ring nut removed to get to the bearing. I am wondering if anyone sells the ring nut tool by itself without the grease and the other bearing presses etc.

I have tried unscuessfully to remove it without the tool. I am wondering if anyone here has tried to remove the ring nut? It must be torque’ed up pretty tight right?

Cheers
Wayne

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Utopia

In Sir Thomas More's "Utopia", he talks about the No-People from the island No-Land surrounded by No-Water. I think this is where DT got the inspiration for their No-Tools concept. However, in the real world of replaceable bearings, the yes tool kit costs $90. DT does have good customer service though and might be able to help you out. Start here...

DT Swiss, Inc.
2493 Industrial Blvd.
Grand Junction, Colorado 81505
Phone: 970 242 9232
[email protected]
www.dtswiss.com

·
Team BikeWood
161 Posts
Hey, I need one of those too..

WOY said:
I have a few of the Hugi 240 hubs while the normal maintenance does not require special tools however I need to replace one of the bearing on the drive side that need to have the ring nut removed to get to the bearing. I am wondering if anyone sells the ring nut tool by itself without the grease and the other bearing presses etc.

I have tried unscuessfully to remove it without the tool. I am wondering if anyone here has tried to remove the ring nut? It must be torque'ed up pretty tight right?

Cheers
Wayne
I took my hub apart last night and the drive side bearings are shot. Please post if you find anyone who sells just the ring nut tool. Also, if anyone could recommend the best place to find replacement bearings that would be cool.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Homebrew.....

I might give them a try again and see if I can persuade them to sell me one since I actually have 5 sets of these DT Hugi 240 hubs. I have asked to see if they would help me out once before when I damaged a freewheel body and they basically told me to go to a retailer. I guess if you never ask you you never know.

I did try with my damaged freewheel body and make something at will actually drive the ring nut opposite to the drive direction but I could not loosen it with the lever (~200mm long sprocket tool) I had. Maybe I will give it one more try before ordering the tool.

Anyhow thanks again.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
WOY said:
I have asked to see if they would help me out once before when I damaged a freewheel body and they basically told me to go to a retailer.
Maybe talk to Dave A. (I forgot his last name) in tech support there at DT. He was very helpful when I had troubles with my 1st gen 240s. He sent me an update kit/lube and sent my LBS a new freehub for me, no charge. Good luck.

Chris King has been much better for me all around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.