Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about a DT Swiss XM1501 Spline One wheelset as a lighter weight alternative for my Stumpjumper (currently 650Plus). A dealer has suggested a custom build with DT Swiss components - 240s hubs and XM481 rims - would be lighter and better.
My question is: what hubs and rims are on the XM1501? Would this custom build be better?
DT Swiss website has the hub as "240" and spokes "straightpull" so this sounds like a 240s - and in the hubs section a "240" is not on offer. Is 240 a cheaper option for wheelsets or does XM1501 have the 240s?
The rims are not specified as far as I can see for the XM1501. In the products section on rims for this size/width there is only the XM481 and the much cheaper M502. My guess would be that the "XM" is significant and the XM1501 wheelset has the XM481 rim - does it?
Any information gratefully received!

·
passed out in your garden
2,758 Posts
Im also looking at DT Swiss wheelsyrt, l already have the 240 hubs (currently laced to ZTR Arch MKIII rims), and am looking at either the XM481 rims or the slightly stronger EX511, all reviews lve read say this is a killer set up.
I will most likely go with the EX511 for better durability for minimal weight gain.

XM481 and EX511 are the same size, XM = All Mountain, EX = Enduro.

Sorry l know nothing about the wheelset you mention, all l know is the lower the number the better they are

Sorry l am talking 29" not 27.5"

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and I am looking at 29" too...
Basically getting a second wheelset for the Stumpjumper 6Fattie (650 Plus) ... I enjoy riding the 6Fattie but want lighter wheels for some riding. Could get some of that from just changing tires but then I have a 650B and wrong circumference for the bike.

·
May contain nuts
2,372 Posts
Biggest downside of the factory DT wheels is they are 28 hole. I find low spoke wheels lose tension pretty easily after a ding or hard hit. I’d rather have a 32 hole rim any day

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good tip but not a top issue for me; I am quite light weight: The recommended bike+person weight for these wheels is 120kg and I am more like 80kg.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My question is: what hubs and rims are on the XM1501? Would this custom build be better?
The XM1501 Spline One 30 wheels you're looking for come with the DT240s straightpull hubs (18t star ratchets and different decals than the regular aftermarket 240s hub), XM481 rims and DT Competition straightpull spokes (double butted, 2.0x1.8mm).

Next cheaper wheel models are M1700 Spline One 30 (DT350 hubs incl. same 18t star ratchet, M502 rims, same spokes) or M1900 (DT370 hubs => pawls, no star ratchet, M502 rims, DT Champion spokes).

The XR, XM and EX wheel sets are DT Swiss' top end aluminum models and are hand build by manufacturer. However, at this price point I'd always prefer a wheel set from a professional wheel builder.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Wheel sets sold in bulk are more about being machinery made. Hence they tend to be 28 hole, straight pull spokes, because that can be automated, 3 cross, 32, j bend, not so much.

Wheel sets are also thin on details because the buyer isn’t really interested in the minutiae of hub or rim specs- if someone is after a specific rim or lacing pattern they aren’t going to be buying off the shelf. The buyer for a branded wheel set, will look at total weight, rep of the brand carbon or aluminium and that’s probably it.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Wheel sets sold in bulk are more about being machinery made. Hence they tend to be 28 hole, straight pull spokes, because that can be automated, 3 cross, 32, j bend, not so much.
Um, no. It may be *easier* to make straight pull wheels, but they most certainly have machines that make 3x J-bend wheelsets. I've watched them build wheels. It's been this way for decades.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,103 Posts
Been thinking about a DT Swiss XM1501 Spline One wheelset as a lighter weight alternative for my Stumpjumper (currently 650Plus). A dealer has suggested a custom build with DT Swiss components - 240s hubs and XM481 rims - would be lighter and better.
DT Swiss website has the hub as "240" and spokes "straightpull" so this sounds like a 240s - and in the hubs section a "240" is not on offer. Is 240 a cheaper option for wheelsets or does XM1501 have the 240s?
The rims are not specified as far as I can see for the XM1501. In the products section on rims for this size/width there is only the XM481 and the much cheaper M502. My guess would be that the "XM" is significant and the XM1501 wheelset has the XM481 rim - does it?
Any information gratefully received!
I've had the XM481 w/ Project 321 hubs for a season...

I have 28 spoke front and 32 rear, originally built with DT comp round butted spokes. I had some of the spokes break in the rear wheel, they broke near the middle of the spoke and no evidence of impact so not sure exactly why. I had the rear wheel rebuilt with new XM481 rim and Sapim CX-Ray spokes, which I've had good luck with in the past... so far so good. AFAIK the 1501 wheelset comes with 28 DT bladed spokes, would prefer 32 for the rear.

DT hubs are excellent but so are the P321, they have less drag and faster engagement and are made in the USA.

I think you can get P321 hubs, CX-Ray spokes and DT XM481 rims built for a bit less vs the 1501 wheelset as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are heavy then 32 is better for sure!

And if you are heavy don‘t go for the „race“ wheels etc....and prefer more robust options (usually also heavier)

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
I think you can get P321 hubs, CX-Ray spokes and DT XM481 rims built for a bit less vs the 1501 wheelset as well.
Agree, the 1501 was always a terrible deal. You can put together the same thing in DT parts for less than the 1501, then if you need to replace a rim it isn't mismatched.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's some great info :)
I need to rewrite my original post:
A few days ago I was considering buying a set of DT Swiss 1501 but based on some great info from the MTBR forum, I am going for a custom build 240s (straight pull) and XM421 rims.
Now, just need to check on which spokes the dealer was going to use - they just said "DT Swiss"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts