Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the below spec'd wheelset for a 6" all mountain ride? Can this type of wheelset sustain repeated 5" drops?

DT-SWISS FR 6.1D
DT-SWISS HUGI FREERIDE

Any idea how much they will weigh? How much would you pay for a set like this?

Thank you

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
5 inch drops?
Yeah, they'll work. In fact, those rims can take 5 foot drops.
For 5 inches you can get much lighter rims that can still take that kind of "abuse."
I'd recommend the Syncros 25 or 28.
Those hubs are fine, although I'm a King junkie myself.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
For 5 foot drops they'll be great. The DT FR is a very well constructed rim.
I'd take the DT setup over the Shimano because I don't like the Shimano proprietary hubs & spokes which can be difficult to get if you pop a spoke or have hub problems. The DT will use "universal" spokes which can be found anywhere.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
soulfly_NYC said:
Is this going to be a lightweight wheelset as far as freeride wheels go?
It's been a few months since I weighed the DT FR and I forget the exact weight, but I don't remember them being "light." But not terribly heavy either. Kind of middle of the road.
I remember the Syncros D28 being lighter and it's also quite stout. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
DT Swiss FR 6.1's !

I am getting a set of new wheels made with DT Swiss FR 6.1's laced to Hadley hubs ( that is if the rear hub ever shows up) and the advertised weight is 610 gms each!! Where the Synchros D28 advertise a weight of 545 gms each! TIG.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Have either of you heard of these hubs failing, as in splitting the hub assembly? I read the reviews on MTBR about these and 2 people said that they actually split the hub assembly with light XC riding??

Something doesn't sound right...have you had/heard any bad experiences with these?

Thanks

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
I've read posts about that happening. Tscheezy recently posted one here on the Tires board & you can do a search if interested. If I'm not mistaken, they've recently changed the design.
But if you're building custom, and can swing the bling, get the King :D. Hadley would be my second choice. Anything will suffice up front although I'd go King as well.
Contact [email protected] for superb advice, pricing & service if yo're not married to Go-Ride.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Squeak,

Thanks for the info and advice. I am just trying to find out more about this wheelset, since it comes on the bike I ordered. I've also heard great things about Larry, and would undoubtedly do business with him.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.