Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Check out Epic Cycles
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wassup Guys. I just bought a DT Swiss wheelset with 440 hubs and 6.1D rims. They are the same ones Peaty and Rennie are running in the UCI World Cup. Anyway they are really Bad Ass. They are super light and super smooth. I am running them on my Intense Socom and they are really fast. I have only ridden them about 3 times and yesterday upon regular inspection of my bike I noticed 3 good size dents in the rear rim. They aren't that bad but I was really suprised because all I have ridden was some semi rocky DH trails, nothing to knarly though, so I don't know what the deal is. I run Maxxis Minions front and rear and have run Mavics on all my other bikes in the past and I've never had this problem.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
first off chheck air pressure then rim builder....i thopught you were tight with those guys at Epic bikes.......I guess they build crummy rims

I hear they are over priced and can't turn a wrench...wonder why you are asking the forum about these rims because Epic doesn't give you strait answers

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've heard that the '07 DT 2350 Wheelset will have rims with reinforced sidewalls and that they've acknowledged the softness of the old 6.1 rims

has anyone tried the new ones yet?

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,878 Posts
I've seen it on other peoples bikes a few times... I heard various things:

1. They are supposed to be like that, the rims will dent before you pinch flat. This makes them disposable racing rims? :skep:

2. DT didn't heat treat the rims properly, but will in the future :confused:

3. DT is switching to a new, harder alloy on newer batches of 6.1s :rolleyes:

Maybe DT should explain to 6.1 buyers why their rims suck? Oh, right, if they admit fault they would have to offer replacements to their customers. This is ultimately the reason I didn't use DT 5.1s on my AM wheelset.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
SMT- wheelbuilding has little to nothing to do with denting rims! Ease up!

They used softer alloy on this rim because since it's such a huge triangulated shape it can be stiff and use a soft alloy so it will dent keeping pinchies down. Using an alloy this soft on smaller (5.1) rims could cause the rim to bend and it's an AM rim so it should be a standard stiffer material.

I guess they went a little too far and have changed the alloy to a harder material. They sent us a set to try to prove it, it's winter so we haven't tried them yet.

It's a crapshoot! Mavic rims crack constantly because they are so hard, DT dent easily because they are soft. People want light, dent resistant, flat resistant, wide Uber rims-you cant have it all!

I had dinner with Sam Hill and his mechanic- the wrench said they go through MULTIPLE 5.1's a weekend! But hey it's a 500 gram freaking AM rim!!!! Sam wants light weight and it only had to last ONE RUN. I'm kinda suprised Peaty and Hill made it through the season without a race failure.

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
coldawg said:
I've heard that the '07 DT 2350 Wheelset will have rims with reinforced sidewalls and that they've acknowledged the softness of the old 6.1 rims

I tried the new ones the second half of this season, and they held up much, MUCH better. they've got a much shallower center-groove so getting tires on is a b!tch, but overall they hold up much better.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
quote- tried the new ones the second half of this season, and they held up much, MUCH better. they've got a much shallower center-groove so getting tires on is a b!tch, but overall they hold up much better.

That's good news!

I really want to support DT- both Mavic and Sun are unbelievably difficult to deal with as a retailer.

Besides i've allways liked the design philosophy of their other products, the rims have nice cross sections and weights for their catagories.

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
quote- tried the new ones the second half of this season, and they held up much, MUCH better. they've got a much shallower center-groove so getting tires on is a b!tch, but overall they hold up much better.

That's good news!

I really want to support DT- both Mavic and Sun are unbelievably difficult to deal with as a retailer.

Besides i've allways liked the design philosophy of their other products, the rims have nice cross sections and weights for their catagories.
yup, and the 5.1s held up well under the rental fleet at Diablo, so that's a pretty ringing endorsement for them as well. just better have the soapy water ready for the new 6.1s...

when are you g-r guys coming out to play here in the northeast? you guys making it out for Nationals?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Team Go-Ride will make it out for some of the national stuff at least but we''ll probably fly the guys out instead of dragging the trailer 2000 miles- especially if the whole Angel Fire thing happens.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
I'd have to echo the opinions of those stated here. My 6.1's stayed true very well, but they would dent way too easily. A few months ago I laced a WTB Laserdisc DH up to my 440 hub, and that rim is doing much better. Only 30 grams heavier, but wider, and no dents.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
I can't NOT say anything...

DT 6.1 Rims = Dentacular

I had so many dents in my rear 6.1 after two rides that the rim was useless. Anybody want to buy the front rim cheap? I can guarantee that it's probably just as smelly a hunk of sh1t as the rear was.

And no, it's not the build or the rider. These rims just suck. DT owes everybody an apology for these.

JMH

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
coldawg said:

My old 6.1s were replaced after my local shop kept on at the distributors over here for about 6 months. The wheels should be built with the new 6.1s but i'm happy with my new Crossmax SX so i won't be trying them out any time soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.