Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently working on completing my Santa Cruz Heckler hopefully it will be done in a few months. I've been looking into wider rims that can also take a tubesless tire if I ever have the desire to try them. I've been looking at the dt swiss 5.1d rims. I'm just mainly looking for all mountain kind of rims that are tuff and still light. Anyone care to share their user experiences on them? I'll be putting a pike 454 on the Heckler so I'll need some kind of 20mm hub for that I believe. Any recommendations on hubs well? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
DT Swiss built on Hope Pro II

Search those two terms, you will find this is one of the lightest/strongest/relatively cheapest setups available. Under 1900g for both, pretty much bombproof for AM and great quality. Better engagement than the old XTs and I have never grenaded the hub. The Hope Pro front hub is 20mm/12(?) convertible, so you can use it on either type of wheel, although you will never go back to a smaller front axle after the PIKE.

Sicklines did a review on them at one point, and you can mosey around the forums and find them on many of the high-end AM builds

disclaimer: I do own these and have almost 2 years on them. They have been trued once since being built by Chad at Red Barn. I am 230 and not smooth on the rocks here in Austin.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
Iron Electricity Metal Electrical supply Wire

have been using my 5.1Ds with Pro 2s for about 1 year now ... excellant build ... so far so good and I use them on drops, technical descents, rooty, rocky and everything ... i am the limiting factor in how much abuse I can give the wheels ...

easy to service yourself and easily swap for 20mm for the front and 10mm or 12mm bolt for the rear. comes std QR as well of course ...

not too pricey or heavy ... weight is just under 2kg. of course you have the DT Swiss EX 1750 which is 1750g ie 200g lighter, but you are paying more than double for it i believe ...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be buying that specific set with the Hope Pro 2's. Anyone care to suggest a place to purchase them as a set? I found one place on google but it doesn't look like a U.S. site. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Hellbound said:
Awesome thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be buying that specific set with the Hope Pro 2's. Anyone care to suggest a place to purchase them as a set? I found one place on google but it doesn't look like a U.S. site. Thanks.
Contact Chad at Red Barn Bikes (you can search on here for his reputation).
Excellent wheel builder, killer deal.

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
I have DT 5.1 rims and XT hubs for value, Just ordered the new XT 20mm front hub and 5.1 rims as I'm also getting a Pike, but Pushed. For me value is everything at the moment.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
catnash said:
I have DT 5.1 rims and XT hubs for value, Just ordered the new XT 20mm front hub and 5.1 rims as I'm also getting a Pike, but Pushed. For me value is everything at the moment.
I agree on value - but I found that (as a clyde?) I was blowing up XT hubs at the rate of 3/season. The repair costs (labor only, parts were warrantied) moved me beyond what a good hub would have cost from the outset.

And as far as the value of a PUSH on Pike, well, I would say put that $$$ into a hand-built wheelset first. The PIKE is an incredible fork as is. The PUSH mods do help in high-speed chatter, but seemingly sacrifice a bit of low-speed compliance. I will have them work over my Lyrik at some point (my Push'd DHX rocks) but it is not high on my list of places to put my $$$.

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
Hellbound said:
Currently working on completing my Santa Cruz Heckler hopefully it will be done in a few months. I've been looking into wider rims that can also take a tubesless tire if I ever have the desire to try them. I've been looking at the dt swiss 5.1d rims. I'm just mainly looking for all mountain kind of rims that are tuff and still light. Anyone care to share their user experiences on them? I'll be putting a pike 454 on the Heckler so I'll need some kind of 20mm hub for that I believe. Any recommendations on hubs well? Thanks in advance.
Give Mike Grcia at Odds and Endos a call.

His website is under construction, so just call him for the best price around (around -$50. if I remember correctly) on Hope pro II / 5.1 wheels . I can't speak for every builder out there but I priced a few and Mike had the best price and he builds an great set of wheels. He is a great guy to deal with, if you don't know exactly what you want or need he will.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
spacoli said:
Give Mike Grcia at Odds and Endos a call.

His website is under construction, so just call him for the best price around (around -$50. if I remember correctly) on Hope pro II / 5.1 wheels . I can't speak for every builder out there but I priced a few and Mike had the best price and he builds an great set of wheels. He is a great guy to deal with, if you don't know exactly what you want or need he will.
+1.
great build quality and very competitive cost.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I still need to search around some more and see if it is just me, but my 5.1's are a nightmare to get tubeless tires on and off of. I am using the DT swiss tubeless kit on them and it seems that the rubber strips ad just a enough diameter to the wheel that it can turn a 5 min tire change into 45 minutes of swearing and throwing tools. I have run Mavic Crossmax's in the past and had no problems changing tires on those. I have been running tubeless for over 4 years now and know how to properly install and remove tires. These rims have been awful for that.

Craig

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
spaeth said:
I still need to search around some more and see if it is just me, but my 5.1's are a nightmare to get tubeless tires on and off of. I am using the DT swiss tubeless kit on them and it seems that the rubber strips ad just a enough diameter to the wheel that it can turn a 5 min tire change into 45 minutes of swearing and throwing tools. I have run Mavic Crossmax's in the past and had no problems changing tires on those. I have been running tubeless for over 4 years now and know how to properly install and remove tires. These rims have been awful for that.

Craig
Changing out Specialized Enduro 2.4 USTs and Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 USTs has been no problem. Tools necessary for the maxxis, but they are more of a 2.25 than 2.35.

·
1,110 Posts
I'm using the DT conversion with 5.1 and I have found it's tough to get the bead unlocked from the DT strip (which is good), but once you get it, I didn't find getting the tire off that tough. For the record, I'm using non-UST 2.35 Nevegals and Blue Groove.:thumbsup:

·
1,110 Posts
CharacterZero said:
You mean when you are pumping it up?
If you mean when you are removing the tire, I don't think it is even in contact with the rim strip if seated properly..
When removing the tire. There is a lip on the edge of the strip to hold the bead tight against the rim, my guess it's to prevent burping. It's tough to get the bead out between the rim and that lip. It was crazy tough the first time I had to remove, once I did it, I was good, it's not as bad now. At least that"s my case with the tires I'm using.

I'm not sure about the bead and rim strip interface, I would think there is some type of contact there to help sealing.

I beleive the DT strip is a good solid tubless conversion the way the bead locks in. I get a good pop when inflating, that's a sure sign of a good seated bead. I never had a burp with pressures I run between 25f - 30r psi and I'm pretty confident I could go lower and it still wouldn't burp.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I JUST got my 5.1's and Hope Pro II's today from Larry at MtnHighCyclery.com. When I was shopping over the alst few weeks, he had the best price on the combo.

http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com/

You'll need to call and leave a message, downside is that he's a small shop and not easy to get ahold of, though highyl recommend by many people here.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Okay this will sound dumb but does Red Barn Cycles order the wheels and hubs for you? or is this something I have to purchase and then send to them for construction? I'm pretty sure they have this in their inventory I emailed them anyway so they should be responding to me anyway I am just curious. Also......what would be good spokes to use? Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Hellbound said:
Okay this will sound dumb but does Red Barn Cycles order the wheels and hubs for you? or is this something I have to purchase and then send to them for construction? I'm pretty sure they have this in their inventory I emailed them anyway so they should be responding to me anyway I am just curious. Also......what would be good spokes to use? Thanks again.
Yeah, they either have it all in stock or order it to build it there...anything less would be uncivilized.

·
Devil on wheels
75 Posts
I have a pair of DT5.1D on Pro2 hubs for more than a year and they are great. I've used them in some pretty nasty terrains and they only got "hurt" when hitting rocks too hard landing from drops!!

It's definitively a wonderful All Mountain rim (light and thought). Some guy use them on their DH bikes (Hill and Peat included), but they mustn't last long with those guys.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.