Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Living the Dream
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for rear wheel. I am trying to get a somewhat light, strong build for a rear wheel in the 28mm width. What is the story with 5.2s? Are they being released soon? Thanks for any info.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
I've had no issues running the 5.1, DS-28 or the XM321. All three have performed quite well and they all work with the Maxxis 26A1 rim strip. :thumbsup:

Haven't heard anything about the 5.2:confused:

·
Living the Dream
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SSINGA

I ordered a Hope Pro 2 on the DS28. I had heard rumors about the 5.2d, but I couldn't find anything on MTBR (damn search function) or google. I'm sure by the time my wheel and highline get here, 5.2s will be all the rage. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi guys, I am pondering this too at the moment. I have heard good things about both 5.1 and DS28's.

I quite fancied the DS28's in white but alas can no longer find them anywhere in the UK:mad:

My riding buddy has 5.1's on his enduro and they feel nice n stiff tho they haven't been pushed to far as yet!. Not sure about the 5.2... how are they different, wider maybe?.

I really like the look of Stans rims even tho thay are a little more costly. The ZTR Freeride is 32mm wide @ 545g and then there is the ZTR Flow 28mm wide again but only 470g. Not really seen any reviews as yet so I'd be interested to know how either ride/hold up????

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Alpenglow said:
I ordered a Hope Pro 2 on the DS28. I had heard rumors about the 5.2d, but I couldn't find anything on MTBR (damn search function) or google. I'm sure by the time my wheel and highline get here, 5.2s will be all the rage. :D
The new rims that I know of are the 4.2d (replacing the 4.1, wider and lighter), no idea on 5.2s

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
I think it was Chad (of Red Barn) who mentioned that 5.1d rims come from factory pretty much round and trued so don't need to be tweaked hardly at build up.
I personally am impressed with my Pro2/5.1D rear build by Mike Garcia.
Still running true without any maintenance since I got the wheel last year.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Strafer said:
I think it was Chad (of Red Barn) who mentioned that 5.1d rims come from factory pretty much round and trued so don't need to be tweaked hardly at build up.
I personally am impressed with my Pro2/5.1D rear build by Mike Garcia.
Still running true without any maintenance since I got the wheel last year.
I run the same wheelset (build by Chain Reaction Cycles) and I like them so much i am starting to think about a second set with 4.2s for my SS

·
Living the Dream
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There'r been a few people

crisillo said:
I run the same wheelset (build by Chain Reaction Cycles) and I like them so much i am starting to think about a second set with 4.2s for my SS
Who have had problems with the 5.1s being to soft. I think the metal used in the 5.2s is supposed to address this. There is no question of the quality of the rims, just the durability. My 4.1s have been flawless though.

Where do you live in Germany. There is a good possibility that I'll be living there in about a year.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Alpenglow said:
Who have had problems with the 5.1s being to soft. I think the metal used in the 5.2s is supposed to address this. There is no question of the quality of the rims, just the durability. My 4.1s have been flawless though.

Where do you live in Germany. There is a good possibility that I'll be living there in about a year.
Those problems were with the DT 6.1 rims, DT changed the design because of that (they didn't change the model name though)...

I live In Saarbrucken, it is a small city, right on the France/Luxembourg border... about 2 hours away from Frankfurt am Main...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
funny, i am in the exact same boat at the moment and am debating on the 5.1, the DS28 and the 321 with either the hope pro II or possibly the hadley.
after talking with chad at red barn, i'm leaning towards the DS28 with the hope on the front and the hadley on the rear.

now the most important question: do i want to go with white rims on my enduro expert???
i'll take opinions from everyone :thumbsup:

photoshop mock-up:

Attachments

·
Living the Dream
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chad's building mine.

With a polished frame I'd get black. If you had a dark frame (red, black, green, or blue) the whites would look good. I ordered a blue highline instead of polished because I already had a white 66SL ATA. I know it's probably a bit vain. :D

[QUOTE='size]
after talking with chad at red barn, i'm leaning towards the DS28 with the hope on the front and the hadley on the rear.

now the most important question: do i want to go with white rims on my enduro expert???
i'll take opinions from everyone :thumbsup:

photoshop mock-up:[/QUOTE]

·
Space for rent...
1,012 Posts
crisillo said:
I run the Hope Pro ll with the EX5.1d on my SS (built by Larry @ Mountain High). Best wheels I have have ever ridden.

·
Registered
142 Posts
SSINGA said:
I've had no issues running the 5.1, DS-28 or the XM321. All three have performed quite well and they all work with the Maxxis 26A1 rim strip. :thumbsup:
I tried the DT Swiss 5.1 rim with the Maxxis 26a1 strip (bought based on this post) and it doesn't work. The strip is way too wide. :mad:

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
5.1s and DS 28s, noted by the all knowing SSINGA, are great. I too have owned both and currently run 5.1s. I sort of wish I went with DS 28s instead of 5.1s on current bike to be honest cause the 540 instead of 510 gram rim doesnt bother me and i LOVE the tall asss profile of the rims on the DS 28s.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
blackagness said:
What's ghey'er white rims or a white fork? I have a white fork, but if white rims are ghey'er I made need to be looking into that as well? :confused:
only the gheyest of all gheys would have both their rims and fork white, so go for it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.