Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
George Dickel
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came into a real cheap set of DT Swiss 455 rims on WTB hubs (off an iron horse MKIII), which is great because now I can run my new TA Pike. However, it is a total beeyotch to get tires on these rims. I am trying to mount a 2.3 Weirwolf on the front but have broken 2 tire tools and flatted the tube 3x once I do get it on. I have never had this much trouble before. I am getting steel tire tools today, but if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to chime in. Did not know if DT Swiss rims are known for being a little big or if it is just my ham-handedness - usually I can mount tires with just my hands. :madman:

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Use a pretty concentrated solution on soapy water and apply it to the tire and rim bead. Dry up your hands and try it while the bead is still wet. If it dries, reappy and even dip the tire lever tip in the soapy water.

Once you get one side on, put the tube on and inflate the tube slightly so it moves out of the way and then get the other side of the tire on. If all fails, pay a bike shop to do it. A good one will charge $5 per tire and get it done in five minutes. Some will charge $10-$15 per tire and those are the ones to avoid permanently since they probably also charge "storage" and "cleanup" fees in their attempt to survive:D

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
IF the rim has a center channel, drop the beads in there as you mount them.

I have a similar issue with my Alex FD28's. They have a center channel and beads MUST be dropped in there to mount the vast majority of tyres.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.