Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
jcard14
154 Posts
x430's came on my '07 expert SJ FSR...not the same but probably comparable...hated them. Too soft, I was always getting them trued. Splurged on some i9 enduros...needless to say, I am very happy with my current setup. IMHO, a lot of companies cut corners on the wheels...for example, the x430's i got on my expert build were the exact same wheels found on the elite and comp models. People know XTR and XO, they know Avid or Hayes...you get caught looking at the bling and forget about the shoes...lesson learned...I will always build a frame up in the future.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Langdog said:
I know these wheels come on a lot of stumpys. How good are they?
My GF's bike came with those, and they seem pretty strong. The weak point is the hub, I would say. Heavy.

My 29er came with a similar rim/hub combo. compared to my Stan's 29er wheels, they seem pretty stout and durable, and again, heavy.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The rim isn't the problem, it's how it is tensioned on the hub. I have a set of 4.2's laced to Phil Woods that were built by a pro builder and not a machine. I'm a big guy and I ride with the grace and flow of a semi truck, yet I've never had to true them. I've been on them for about a year now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rode them for the first time last night and was fairly pleased. The rear ended up being a little heavier than my old Mavic 221, but, I'll take the trade-off if these are stronger. I'm pushing 250 lbs, so I need a fairly tough wheel. I'll be riding again thursday night and dishing out a little more for these wheels...we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
181 Posts
jcard14 said:
x430's came on my '07 expert SJ FSR...not the same but probably comparable...hated them.
The X430 is a good rim but the stock build is junk. I ended up breaking mine down and rebuilding them with XT hubs, Sapim Race spokes and Sapim self locking brass nipples. It's now a sweet setup worthy of being on my 07 Stumpy Elite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.