Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have these yet? 'would be very much interested in hearing ride reports on them (Specialized riders???).

I can't find any reviews of them, and the forum search function can't find them here either.

TIA

·
Knolliac
417 Posts
I ordered a set of DT Swiss XR 4.2D's last week and they arrived yesterday. I will be lacing them to Hope XC hubs. I will let you know once they are built up and I get some riding in on them.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I bought a set that are getting laced to I-9 hubs, won't see them for awhile. I'm going to run them tubeless.

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

I'll be awaiting your ride report :thumbsup:

4212darren said:
I bought a set that are getting laced to I-9 hubs, won't see them for awhile. I'm going to run them tubeless.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a few hundred miles on mine with I-9 hubs/spokes. No complaints so far, but with the cold weather, some snow and being sick, I haven't got to really put them through any serious thrash testing yet. I set them up tubeless with Stan's yellow tape and Bontrager valve stems. Mike

·
Lover, not a fighter...
286 Posts
WindWalker said:
I have a few hundred miles on mine with I-9 hubs/spokes. No complaints so far, but with the cold weather, some snow and being sick, I haven't got to really put them through any serious thrash testing yet. I set them up tubeless with Stan's yellow tape and Bontrager valve stems. Mike
Does that work? Just the yellow tape and no rim strip on these rims for a tubeless setup? I hear that they're wider than the 4.1 rims. Does the 4.1 tubeless kit work for these or are they coming out with a new one?

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
I've built 6 pair of wheels with them so far. They've all built up very nicely, and they seem nice and stiff for their weight. All are holding up great so far from what I've heard.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hey Larry,
Do you think the 4.2d is a bit too light for a 220lb rider who rides rooty, rocky terrain?? I'm considering the 4.1 or 4.2 with Hope Pro2 hubs. Which would you recommend?? Also, if you want, PM me your price to build them for me.
Thanks,
JP

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
jeremyp111 said:
Hey Larry,
Do you think the 4.2d is a bit too light for a 220lb rider who rides rooty, rocky terrain?? I'm considering the 4.1 or 4.2 with Hope Pro2 hubs. Which would you recommend?? Also, if you want, PM me your price to build them for me.
Thanks,
JP
Yeah, probably a bit too light, but it depends on your riding style too. If it's rocky and rooty, but you're a smooth rider and don't get far off the ground then they'd be o.k. If you're 220 and hard on wheels then definitely go stronger. In general, I tend to recommend something like the 5.1 for your weight.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Ventanarama said:
Yeah, probably a bit too light, but it depends on your riding style too. If it's rocky and rooty, but you're a smooth rider and don't get far off the ground then they'd be o.k. If you're 220 and hard on wheels then definitely go stronger. In general, I tend to recommend something like the 5.1 for your weight.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]
Same question but regarding the Stans 355s, please?

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
We recommend using our standard rim strip in the 4.2 rim so you're looking at 56g. Don't know the DT weight.

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
In my best Lee Corso voice, "Not so fast my friend." While I agree the 355 or 4.2 are not necessarily the right right for riders in question, the 355 is laterally stiffer than the 4.2. Yes, it is my in-house testing and yes I am biased but anyone can repeat my results if they so desire and are so equipped.

My numbers for lateral stiffness testing:
DT Swiss 4.2D - 404g, 17.8mm inside width, 23.6mm outside width, .0450 strength to weight ratio, 74.55% as stiff as the benchmark rim (ZTR Arch)

ZTR 355 - 358g, 18.8mm inside width, 24.4mm outside width, .0527 strength to weight ratio, 77.36% as stiff as the benchmark rim (ZTR Arch)

I would argue that anyone considering the 4.2D would be well served to consider the 355, get a slightly stiffer rim and save something around 46g per hoop (give or take based on my samples).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Mike B. said:
In my best Lee Corso voice, "Not so fast my friend." While I agree the 355 or 4.2 are not necessarily the right right for riders in question, the 355 is laterally stiffer than the 4.2. Yes, it is my in-house testing and yes I am biased but anyone can repeat my results if they so desire and are so equipped.

My numbers for lateral stiffness testing:
DT Swiss 4.2D - 404g, 17.8mm inside width, 23.6mm outside width, .0450 strength to weight ratio, 74.55% as stiff as the benchmark rim (ZTR Arch)

ZTR 355 - 358g, 18.8mm inside width, 24.4mm outside width, .0527 strength to weight ratio, 77.36% as stiff as the benchmark rim (ZTR Arch)

I would argue that anyone considering the 4.2D would be well served to consider the 355, get a slightly stiffer rim and save something around 46g per hoop (give or take based on my samples).
Are your numbers with rim tape and sealant? If not, how much weight does that add?

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
No, weights are the bare rims. The yellow tape and valve for the 355 weighs 11 grams and we recommend 60g of sealant. Don't know the weight on the DT kit.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
jeremyp111 said:
Hey Larry,
Thanks,
JP
It also depends on the tires. You can get away with lighter rims if you run larger volume tires. But as you get into wider tires, you may want the wider rims as well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Although it may not be recommended, I have not had any problems so far running the Stan's yellow tape and a Bontrager valve stem on the 4.2's. It seemed like the cheapest and lightest way to go.

I have a set of 355's on AC hubs also. The 355's require a fair amount of attention to keep them straight and true. The I-9's so far have required no attention and are very true. As far as stiffness the I-9's are noticably stiffer, but I would guess that this is probably due more to the spokes than the hoop. I think what could possibly be the best lightweight/durable setup would be the I-9 set up with the 355 hoop (that is what I wished I would have done) But enough money spent on wheels, my wife loves the 355's on her ride anyhow...

Another thing to consider, running both hoops with the yellow tape, the same UST tires, at the same pressure, the 4.2 will burp air by hand, where I can't get the 355 to do so. I have to run 4psi more in the 4.2 to offset this. They talk of this on the Notubes site, and are spot on. The DT tubeless rim strip may help some with that, not sure?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Custon wheels for trail and enduro riding with XR 4.2D

Just need a little help here. I'm considering to assemble a lighter wheelset for my '05 Enduro Comp. Its set up is as it follows: XT crankset, front derailleur, chain, cassete, brake and shift levers, XTR rear derailleur, brake pads and CL discs, M-424 pedals. Cockpit is Thomson stem and seatpost, SPZ Enduro handlebar, saddle and grips. My current wheelset is a Sun SOS for SPZ Enduro, XT M-760L hubs, DT Comp spokes and Woodman Titanium screwers, and its overall weight is around 2.060g, not couting the SPZ Enduro 2.3" tires, and I think the whole set is too heavy although it is sure very stiff and strong. I ride a little agressive, but don't do stunts or big drops, but I like speedy descents and singletracks, as well as a rock garden ride. All things that most consider trail riding. But I want to take out some weight to help with some climbs and to get a faster pace when riding my bike.

Considering the options, I came down to custom wheel DT Swiss 340 centerlock hubs, DT XR 4.2D (the same used in the new Enduro SL Pro) and DT Competition 2/1.8/2 spokes.

Which wheel set would be the most suitable? Considering the width of the XR 4.2D, can it house tires around 2.1-2.2" wide? Is the XR 4.2D a good choice for weight saving and still get some stronghold wheel mount or should I go for the EX 5.1? With 5.1 would you guys think I'd still get some lift on the heavy side?

Thanks a lot in advance.

"Keep living, 'cause is the ride life worths for."

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.