Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
I just set my 4.2d's up today with a stans kit. What I learned today compared to my last conversion of a set of 717's is that by soaking the rimstrip in soapy water the process is a LOT easier. The tiny bit of added width of the 4.2d allows the rimstrip to lay perfectly in place with only a little nudge with a tire lever around the valve stem to seat it in the rim bed.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I've set the 4.2d up two ways.

-DT kit. Works well.

-2 layers strapping tape and 1 layer of electrical tape. Use a valve stem cut out of a tube.

The DT kit's valves have removable cores, which is nice if you need to get a faster burst of air or inject sealant without breaking the bead. But that's really the only advantage. Using strapping tape and electrical tape worked really well on these rims.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I prefer the DT tubless kit over Stans. I haven't used a Stans kit in a few years but the way the rim strip came up into the bead area made it a pain to seat a lot of tires. Eventually the valve stem pulled out of every Stans strip I had as well although it looks like they may not do it that way now.

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
I would suggest using Stan's Yellow Tape instead of the Rim Strip. It saves weight and removes all the unnecessary problems with the tire beading to the rim. I recently used the yellow tape with my Olympic ZTR rims and they work fantastic. I've heard you can use them on the DT 4.2 rims as well.

One trick I noticed with the yellow tape is after installing the tape, set your wheel up with Tubes and inflate to high pressure and ride at least once. What this does is it stretches the tape better to the rim and removes all the air bubbles in the tape. Once that's done remove the tube and convert the wheel to tubeless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.