Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I am just curious if DT Swiss 4.1's are that much better than the Mavic 321's? Check the weight and the 321's are about 130-145g heavier than the DT's depending on which of the 4.1s you choose. Is the weight the only difference or are the DT's really that much better. Intended use XC/Agressive XC.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You are kind of comparing a compact car to an SUV. Neither one of those rims suits exactly the type of riding you described. If I had to pick between the two of them, it would be the DT 4.1 which is designed more around XC/XC race with a 17 mm inside width, the Mavic 321 is more of a FR/DH rim with a 21mm inside width. A lot of people for that type of riding would choose a rim with an inside width of 19 mm and a weight around 450-500 grams.

Some examples would be Mavic XM719, Mavic XM819, Velocity Aeroheat, Bontrager Mustang Disc, DT 5.1 (they are big too, but pretty light), etc.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
As LyNx pointed out....

the 4.1d and the 321 are two very different rims designed for different styles of riding. The only point that I differ on, the 321 is more of a all mountain/light FR DH rim. They fall in between an all out DH rim and a mid weight Trail type rim. But that is splitting hairs. The 321 is a bit bigger and beefier than the "accepted" trail type rim.

The 4.1d stands up well to XC/Race and Aggressive XC. However it is not a great rim for drops and jumps. If that's your thing then the 321 would be the better choice. Depends on your riding style. I've ridden both rims and don't really find the 4.1d to be all that much better than any other XC type rim. I personally prefer the 719/819 rim. Stouter than an XC rim, but lighter than DH/FR rims. But that's another point. You don't really define your riding style or the intended purpose for the wheels. So it is tough to say which rim is better. Again like LyNx said, it is kind of like comparing a car to an SUV. Two different rims designed for different purposes. They are both good rims. It's just that one would be better suited to one type of riding, the other to another type. Depends on your intended use.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Reason I ask is I happen to have gotten my hands on a set of 321's by a small miss-ship and in now way can I afford to send them back so I'm trying to decide how they stack up quality and abuse wise. From what you guys have said the 321's should be a burlier rim and take more jumps. Hopefully the extra weight won't be to noticeable, so I guess I will be building up my new wheelset using the 321's and sit and hold tight till sometime very late next year for a custom set if these don't work out. Will prob stick w/ the HOPE XC hub idea laced now to these 321's.

AND once again my riding style is XC / Aggresive XC. I like the fact that the 321's are 21mm compared to the 117's right now that r only 17mm, it should hopefully lower the ride height of the tires and give a bit more clearance.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
LyNx said:
Reason I ask is I happen to have gotten my hands on a set of 321's by a small miss-ship and in now way can I afford to send them back so I'm trying to decide how they stack up quality and abuse wise. From what you guys have said the 321's should be a burlier rim and take more jumps. Hopefully the extra weight won't be to noticeable, so I guess I will be building up my new wheelset using the 321's and sit and hold tight till sometime very late next year for a custom set if these don't work out. Will prob stick w/ the HOPE XC hub idea laced now to these 321's.

AND once again my riding style is XC / Aggresive XC. I like the fact that the 321's are 21mm compared to the 117's right now that r only 17mm, it should hopefully lower the ride height of the tires and give a bit more clearance.
I hope you did not pay the 4.1 price for the 321 rims. The 321 is about half the cost.

The 321 is a very solid rim and can take a beating. In the long run a better choice for more aggressive riding and jumps. The tires will be a bit more stable on landings. Do not expect the height of the tires to be much, if any, shorter. You may have more change with higher or lower air pressures. They may even be taller. http://www.mtbtires.com/tech/rim_difference.html

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shiggy said:
I hope you did not pay the 4.1 price for the 321 rims. The 321 is about half the cost.

The 321 is a very solid rim and can take a beating. In the long run a better choice for more aggressive riding and jumps. The tires will be a bit more stable on landings. Do not expect the height of the tires to be much, if any, shorter. You may have more change with higher or lower air pressures. They may even be taller. http://www.mtbtires.com/tech/rim_difference.html
Thanks for the reply Shiggy. No I didn't pay the 4.1 price, actually I didn't even order any rims in that order they just I guess got put in by accident - xmas rush, got to deal w/ it after the season. The lower air pressures I was already taken as a given, but was maybe hoping for the lower profile. Maybe w/ the 321's I'll have a bit more confidence now to start hitting some "real" jumps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.