Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving my new bike (2020 Li Intrigue Advanced 1) but I would love it even more if the rear hub engaged faster. According to Liv, the bike comes spec'd with a 3 pawl DT-Swiss hub: 1520-DT360M-902. On the Giant website, it says part #1520-DT360M-902 is a "DT 360S REAR HUB FOR XCR 1/TRX 1/XCT 128X148 12MM BLK XD DRIVE W/O QRW/MY17 GIANT CUSTOM LOGO"

I contacted DT Swiss to ask about a star ratchet upgrade but was told "Unfortunately DT does not recommend this modification. They say it's because the seals don't align properly and this will cause contamination which would contribute to premature wear of the ratchet system. You'll probably see someone on Youtube actually doing this mod but I'm not sure how long before problems surface. So, the short answer is no".

So, has anyone done this? Any problems? Any other options? Other than replacing the whole hub of course... I would love to just be able to replace the internals.

·
814 Posts
Well, I suppose I should thank you for helping me get educated. I was going to tell you that it wasn't possible. But then I started reading. You know what happens when you read? You get smart.

Clearly, your project is possible. I can see how it's tempting, as 24 POE doesn't excite me. If you can get the parts for 72 POE, that would be great. But if all you can get is 36 POE, the conversion would be pointless.

The big question is if the cost of all the parts and all the tools is worth it. If you just bought a new 350 or 240 wheel set and then sold your existing wheels, would you be ahead?

·
Registered
483 Posts
There is information on how to get it done in the 2019 Trance 29er thread. I just bought a DT Swiss 350 hub and 54t ratchet upgrade and had a wheelbuilder swap the hubs!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The big question is if the cost of all the parts and all the tools is worth it. If you just bought a new 350 or 240 wheel set and then sold your existing wheels, would you be ahead?
Likely not. Full carbon wheel set. The only reason I could afford it was because it came on the bike. ?

There is information on how to get it done in the 2019 Trance 29er thread. I just bought a DT Swiss 350 hub and 54t ratchet upgrade and had a wheelbuilder swap the hubs!
Thanks, I'll check out the thread. I really don't want to replace the hub at this point though, I was hoping to just replace the internals. If it's not possible (or advisable), I'll just wait until a new hub is necessary and do it then. ?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Likely not. Full carbon wheel set. The only reason I could afford it was because it came on the bike. ?

Thanks, I'll check out the thread. I really don't want to replace the hub at this point though, I was hoping to just replace the internals. If it's not possible (or advisable), I'll just wait until a new hub is necessary and do it then. ?
I have done it on my trance 29 trx1 carbon wheelset. It's possible, a bit expensive (150-170 bucks parts and labor) but worth it imo. I posted about it in the trance 29 thread.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
As minimusprime mentioned, it has been done successfully. I tried it and it didn't work out for me, but the LBS was doing the work free and I didn't feel like pushing them to try again (I had spare DT Swiss parts from another wheelset). If I'd had the tools myself, I wold have put in more effort, though.

I did notice the seals didn't quite cover, but if you're in fairly dry conditions, and do some maintenance, I would expect it to work fine.

When I first got my 29 Pro 1, I was concerned about engagement and bought a separate i9 wheelset, but occasionally swapped out to the original TRX1. I got used to it very quickly and almost never had the reduced engagement cause issues, and that's on pretty techy climbs. I ended up giving the TRX1's to my son, who doesn't seem to have issues either.

I think you could probably just ride them and you'd find they are just fine. I wanted to try it, as I had the parts. But, $170 for the parts and labor seems pretty reasonable.

I think this was the video I based my efforts on:

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Literally just did this on my DT Swiss M1900 wheelset that comes with these (or is it the 370s). Been running them for a couple months now with zero issues, bought the special tools and everything. Popping the drive ring from the hubshell was probably the hardest part, actually broke my CHEAP 4" vise and had to use a neighbors large, heavy duty vise.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Have you considered just replacing the hub with a faster engaging one with the same flange dimensions? Offhand, hope hubs can be swapped in w/o replacing the spokes. Don't trust me though, it's easy to verify yourself. I'm certain there are several faster hubs that could be swapped in for a similar cost to frankensteining your 360s.

YMMV, but when i was out of shape and enthusiastic i saw a lot of value in super fast engagement, but now it's of almost no value. I have the torque to pedal a walking-gear (~2:1) and soft-pedal as i apply torque and don't notice the moment i engage. IMO fast engagement is a crutch, albeit one with potentially no downside.

Quick engagement is diminishing returns. 18t ->24t is a huge upgrade, while 54t ->120+ is almost invisible.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Updated answer 09/2021: Yes, the 360 hub can now be converted to [Star] Ratchet LN freehub using the appropriate conversion kit/tools. I contacted DT Swiss and they told me the 360 is just an OEM version of their 370 hub, and their new Ratchet LN conversion kits resolve all previous issues with sealing:

The seal issue was the problem before the LN kit was introduces. People were unofficially converting their hubs using 350 parts, but it left the internals exposed. The LN freehob body fixes that issue. Here is our page on the LN conversion kits. If you scroll to the bottom, you’ll see a list of freehub body options and prices.

Ratchet LN Technology | DT Swiss | DT Swiss

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Updated answer 09/2021: Yes, the 360 hub can now be converted to [Star] Ratchet LN freehub using the appropriate conversion kit/tools. I contacted DT Swiss and they told me the 360 is just an OEM version of their 370 hub, and their new Ratchet LN conversion kits resolve all previous issues with sealing:
Yes! I "ordered" one when they first announced in the spring. Delivery was supposed to be in June but keeps getting pushed back and pushed back and pushed back with the newest estimated delivery being in January 2022. Fingers crossed! I'll update when I finally do get it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.