Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to take the Dt swiss 340 20mm front hub apart? I am hopeing that I do not need any special tools. I searched DT swiss website and their instructions are crap, I checked youtube and then searched these forums but did not locate anything.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
do you want to remove the bearings? which hub, QR or 20mm? the manual ( I just looked at it) is pretty clear on the QR, but not so much on the 20mm.

you can probably clean and re-grease the bearings without removing them from the hub in a pinch.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 20 mm and all I want is to remove the dust seals however I can not find a thing on the 20mm hub anywhere. I have tried pulling the dust seals off with my hands however that does not work. I don't know if there is a trick that I am missing on this or what.,

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I downloaded the manuals however they only show quick release instructions, I went to the 440 hub since it would have 20mm however I can not figure out how the dust covers are taken off. The single sentance instructions are terrible at best also.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
sure seems like you'd just pop them off. that's the way the 240 and 440 work, seems the 340 would be the same.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what I thought however no matter how hard i pull on them they stay put. Do I have to remove the disk on the one side and pull that side off first?

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
The Beater said:
That is what I thought however no matter how hard i pull on them they stay put. Do I have to remove the disk on the one side and pull that side off first?
From the picture of the 440 it doesn't look like it matters which side you take off first. But that's the 440.

Post a message to [email protected], I've used it and gotten a response pretty quickly in the past.

I still think you need to pull harder.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Just tried my 240s Oversize 20mm front hub, the end caps are threaded onto the axle. They even have flats on them for wrenches, spin them off. The 340 might be the same.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the exploded view of the 20mm 340 on the dt/swiss site does not show any wrench flats or threading on the end caps like the 20mm 240s.

one of my qr 240s end caps is a b!tch to get off - i end up wrapping it with a rubber spacer from an old niterider bar mount and using a set of pliers.

i agree with Monte: pull harder! :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you can't "pull" them off by hand, you will need soft jaws or an axle clamp.

May take a bit of force but they just use an O-ring to hold them on

·
Tulsa
1,085 Posts
i've got a set of 340's so i'm reading this with interest.
I do know (i think) that one cannot do the "conversion" on the 340 from 20 to 9mm etc.
This may mean that the caps are quite different than the 240's, 440's as one can pop the caps off them and interchange, same goes for the ratchet upgrade in the rear.
At least I think the above is accurate...
I was a little pizzled when I found the 340's were the only ones that you couldn't change to the better ratchet mechanism.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
rojogonzo said:
I was a little pizzled when I found the 340's were the only ones that you couldn't change to the better ratchet mechanism.
do some more re-searching, I think you can make the upgrade. I think all you have to do is flip the springs around that go between the star ratchet and bearing. again, do some re-search, I think this works.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update. I was finally able to get the dust caps off, I tried and tried by myself and went to the local bike shop to make sure it was just a pull off. They said it was and showed me. I have to use a screwdriver on the inside of the dust cap and pry it to one side to get it to pop off, I had used a plastic gun cleaning tool on the one side however it broke on the second side so I had to use a screw driver. The idea thing to help remove them would be a piece of PVC pipe that sits out on the outside of a screwdriver so it does not mark up the inside.

Also when yuou go to put the caps back on, use a socket that is wider then the axel but sits on the dust cap so you can tap it into place with even preasure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts