Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experienced issues with DT 340 rear hub internals failing? My hub blew out on me this Sunday at South Mountain. The hub was very new (maybe 200miles on it), and gave no warning before completely failing on me...I was running it on the back of a RMB Slayer. I'm about 170lbs, moderate rider, not too abusive (too old to be a huckster...)

Any comments regarding DT Swiss warranty, etc would be appreciated..

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
What do you mean by "blowed up?" I run the 240s hubs and they have a ratcheting mechanism inside that is very, very easy to disassemble and assemble (if you have the parts, you can do it trail side in about the same time it takes to fix a flat.) Hopefully, the 340 is as easy. If you are spinning your cranks and not moving, call DT or your LBS (the ratcheting mechanisms cost 50 bucks or so).

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Definitely something went wrong inside, the ratchet mechanism broke or something. It engages a bit, then jumps real hard, absolutely cannot pedal it uphill... I dropped it by the LBS right near where I ride just before they closed on Sunday. My hope is to get a warranty repair for it since I just got the hub in November.

Normally I would tear into this type of thing myself, but did not want to risk voiding any warranty.

I'm really surprised this happened. I put forth the cash to avoid issues like this, and supposedly DT Swiss is top notch. (In fact, the LBS said they had never seen a failure quite like this with a DT hub.

I was hoping to upgrade the mechanism to the double ratchet, but DT has been unable to confirm that it is available (just plain lack of response from them). Anyhow, that may weaken the mechanism, so I'm reluctant to pursue it.

thanks for your inputs

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I had an older 240 hub where the hubshell cracked, creating pretty much the same issue as you (not saying that's necessarily what caused yours, though). I contacted DT (in Grand Junction) and even though the hub was out of warranty, it was a known issue for the hub, so they simply exchanged my hub for a new 240s model. I build my own wheels, so doing this was no problem for me. I found their customer service to not only be a pleasure to deal with, but actually over the top.

Hopefully your shop will sort your problem out quickly with DT's help. Be sure to report back on what the problem actually was.

As to exchanging the ratchet on the 240s for the newer one, I only know of its existence, haven't looked into it at all.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I do remember reading that the internals of the 340 QR hub are slightly different than the 240/440 in axle diameter or something. It was enough difference that the 36t ratchet supposedly wouldn't fit the hub. Apparently that doesn't apply to the 340 10mm thru version that uses the same axle as the 240.

Anyway, my point is that there may be a way to do it, but I certainly would confirm that first somehow. There is a two or three page thread somewhere in this forum just about the new ratchet

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My LBS rocks!

My LBS of choice here in the Tempe area (Cactus Bike). Got DT Swiss to warranty the hub. They are sending "updated" internals. So I should be running by end of this week...

I would like to upgrade the ratchet assembly. I sent an Email to DT Swiss asking about the compatibility, but so far dead air....

My ultimate goal would be to run the upgraded ratchet and carry the spare standard ratchet in my Camelback. That will ensure that some other component grenades on me instead...

Thanks for all the inputs. I'll post what I hear back from DT about the upgrade (assuming I get a response).

Cheerio....

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
If you are going to carry the spares, make sure to take along a small amount of the DT Swiss pinkish grease as well. The ratchets should be lightly greased upon installation. I carry mine in a tiny zip lock.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
If you are going to carry the spares, make sure to take along a small amount of the DT Swiss pinkish grease as well. The ratchets should be lightly greased upon installation. I carry mine in a tiny zip lock.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the hub is back in action...

DT came through with fresh parts and my LBS installed them. everything is working great now.

No response at all from DT about the ratchet upgrade...dead air...I'll keep trying, but I expect they do not know about the compatibility and do not have the ambition to chase down an answer...Or, they know that the upgrade compromises the strength of the mechanism (which in my opinion is already marginal).

Oh well....

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
You gotta do some searching here about the compatability of the upgrade. From what I remember I thought it would work. If it does I know I would do it in a heartbeat for that better POI. Unless you super legs I wouldn't be concerned about durability, especially at your weight. Find that thread and do some reading up. The parts get scooped up quickly whenever they become available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts