Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This wheelset and hub were brand new, entered the trail and within a 100 yards it
self destructed.

What could've caused this? Improper assembly?

Im clueless.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant take it apart since I have no tools but the Boom was an exaggeration.

It just keeps popping with every pedal stroke. Definitely not rideable.

Have to bring it to the shop on Tues.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, cant do it without tools.
Heres some pics.

ISAR, dont worry that cog will eventually be replace by one of yours as soon as I figure out what gearing I am going to run.

I'm sure Dt Swiss will take care of this. I just wish I knew enough to know what happened. Hopefully they will tell me at the shop.

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
just curious on how the surly cog was spaced. the shop can't tell you anything if you can't explain yourself what happened. unless they ride it themselves and wait for the BOOM.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Surly cog was placed all the way against the hub with 3 spacers on the outside of the cog. ( ) ! I I I the exclamation point being the cog if that helps

I can explain that when I was pedaling it would just pop and kinda skip. You can feel it just riding real easy, im sure they will get on it and feel it for themselves.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So should there be a spacer between the hub and cog? The shop assembled it so I thought they would know better.

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
apparently not. to be honest not all shops knows how to setup proper chain alignment. you can do it yourself with basic measurement.

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
i just realized the liability these shops hold if that setup caused bodily harm.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
rear cog needs to be aligned with the front chainring.
preeeeetty rare that the right position for the cog to line up with the chainring would be all the way inboard.

whether you run your front ring on the inside or the outside of the spider, I'd expect you cog to be closer to the outside of the freehub.
in most of my builds, I've ended up with ()ll!l.
basically your chain was running angled, which on an ss tends to cause tons of popping and such.
grab a ruler, steel edged or not, and lay the edge against your chainring, try to make sure it doesn't tough anything and see where the rear cog is in relation to the chainring.
dollars to doughnuts the prob's the chainline.
whether that'd fubar your hub I can't say (though I doubt it) but it will DEFINITELY tell you whether the shop knows what they're doing when it comes to setting up a singlespeed.

which tells you whether you want their hands on your ride ;)

(x2 to what fishcreek said, their setup... just bad.)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After it happened we put the wheel on my buddies bike and it did the same thing, not sure if that means anything since the alignment could've been off on that too. I think there is damage to the hub, we'll see.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
For my DT240s single speed hub I have 2 spacers, the cog (dished inward) and another spacer. I think they're all 5mm spacers. They're the stock ones. I'm using an XTR M970 crankset with the ring in the middle position.

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
i choose to align cogs the easy and lazy way, take all the spacers off and put the cog on the hub. install the wheel with the chain on the chain wheel and cog. while spinning the cranks lightly apply pressure to the rear brake and the cog should be centered with the chain wheel. you are not done yet, with a sharpie or something trace an outline of the cog where its centered and apply the spacer in accordance with the sharpie lines. it is best to flip the bike upside down on a flat surface to do this, i hope this helps and i hope someone can clarify if you didn't understand me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts