Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess it's about time for me to post a first impressions of the
wheels I had built by Dave's Wheels (www.speeddream.com).

DT Swiss 240s + Notubes Olympic rims + 2.0/1.7, 1.8/1.55 spokes.

Front: 656g
Rear: 783 g

I had Dave install the tape and rim liners which added 42g to each
wheel.

First step: Installing tires.
I mounted brand new 470g Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evolutions tires. This
was the biggest shock, airing these baby's up tubeless with a little
Stan's in them with a hand pump was the easiest tire mounting/inflating
I have ever done. Very sweet. In contrast I was mounting some UST
Fire XC's on my old Crossroc rims at the same time and that was a royal
pain. Had to finally go to the gas station to use their compressor.

Second step: The ride.
Wow. Shaving over 1.5lbs off your wheels is huge. My bike seems to
float. Very noticeable difference in the quickness. Only 12 miles on
them so far, but they don't seem fragile. The rear hub smooth and quiet..

Cheers!

Attachments

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
You don't need the strips with tho's rims, altho it does make'm easier to air up with a hand pump(or should I say "possible"). Heavy tho compared to just tape and valve.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may try that

However I am so giddy from the weight I cut off already that I thought I'd see how they run with the strips first. I still can't believe how easy the tires were to mount and air up.... :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Duckman said:
You don't need the strips with tho's rims, altho it does make'm easier to air up with a hand pump(or should I say "possible"). Heavy tho compared to just tape and valve.
Duckman, tell us what tires you've easily mounted on your Olympic rims with just the tape and which tires were difficult - or impossible. I just tried to put a set of Kenda Karma's on today and could only get one to inflate. Floor pump or compressor --nothing worked. I'm an experienced Stan's rim user and tire switcher. I was quite surprised. So I then tried a Hutchy Pythons and they inflated fast and flawless.

·
Whatever
585 Posts
My Kenda's inflate just fine w/o a rimstrip

I am using the Kenda 2.1 Blue Groove with my Olympic Disc rear and it inflated just fine with a 15 year old Silca floor pump. In contrast, the ZTR355 front, as well as my heavy duty wheelset with Mavic X3.1 I need to go to the gas station to use their compressor, whether with Hutchinson Python, Continental Explorer Pro/Gravity Pro/Vertical Pro/Diesel, Kenda Kinetics 2.3 StickE or Maxxis Minion DH 2.1.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just put on some Kenda Karma dtc on my olympic rims with tape. They did not inflate with a floor pump, so I used a 12gram co2 cartridge instead. No problems. I would suggest letting out the co2 after you seat the bead though. Apparently the co2 in high concentration makes the latex harden after awhile (weeks?).

So far only one race on the new wheels/rims. Very light!

·
Registered
196 Posts
GspotRider said:
I just put on some Kenda Karma dtc on my olympic rims with tape. They did not inflate with a floor pump, so I used a 12gram co2 cartridge instead. No problems. I would suggest letting out the co2 after you seat the bead though. Apparently the co2 in high concentration makes the latex harden after awhile (weeks?).

So far only one race on the new wheels/rims. Very light!
I would check those tires...my friend inflated with co2 and later discovered the Stans was a solid lump of goo. I'm not sure if it is the co2 reacting with the Stans, or if it is so cold that it "freezes" the stuff. Either way, your Stan's is probably useless now.

BTW, I use Karmas on Mavic 223 rims - used a floor pump with no problems. :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
cmv96 said:
I believe Stan's website says NOT to use co2 with the goop
Hey dudes, don't use co2 if you don't want to. If you let out all of the co2 after you seat the bead, it's okay. I have been using stan's for 3 years now. It doesn't freeze or harden up in a few minutes exposed to co2....hey there is co2 in air. I just use co2 because it saves me a trip to the gas station. BUT go ahead, if you are having trouble, drive to the gas station!

I would probably say it takes a month or so to harden up if you don't let out the co2.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
GspotRider said:
Hey dudes, don't use co2 if you don't want to. If you let out all of the co2 after you seat the bead, it's okay. I have been using stan's for 3 years now. It doesn't freeze or harden up in a few minutes exposed to co2....hey there is co2 in air. I just use co2 because it saves me a trip to the gas station. BUT go ahead, if you are having trouble, drive to the gas station!

I would probably say it takes a month or so to harden up if you don't let out the co2.
Jeez, all this driving to a gas station is adding up to a lot of waster gas which = wasted $$$. Save some money, by an portable air tank. Then you dont need to drive as often for a fill!

:D

·
Registered
313 Posts
006_007 said:
Jeez, all this driving to a gas station is adding up to a lot of waster gas which = wasted $$$. Save some money, by an portable air tank. Then you dont need to drive as often for a fill!

:D
Yes, got a portable air tank....the attachment only works for shrader right now :rolleyes:

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
So far just the Jimmy Lights and Conti Twister SSs on these rims. I had to do the trick with a tube a couple of times tho. Inflate it...seat the beads....deflate and remove tube(there by taking only one side of the bead loose)...stick the valve back in the rim and the one side of the tire....inflate. This way I only had one side of the bead to fight. Still a pain tho.

·
Registered
46 Posts
back to the rims

are the olympics holding up?? want to get a pair but am worried my 190lb body might be a bit too much for them. not that i routinely go off 4' drops...but i don't want to be worrying about my rims to save a few grams over the mavics or DTs.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I've just finished the 2005 Cape Epic MTB race. 900km of really tough MTB terrain joined by gravel roads and tar roads between Knysna and Cape Town.
I managed to ding the rear XTR Olympic on my bike agianst a rock.
IMO the rims are not vry tough but they are light. Definately suitable for XC racing and light trail riding butI would not go jumping with these rims. If you ride really technical terrain often these rims will not last very long.

Currently I am using Kenda karma UST tyres on mine without the rim strips. They seal very weel and had no punctures in those 900km (over 8 days).

Make sure the wheels are well built and if you can use a American Classic hub where the flanges are closer together to give more balanced spoke tension I think it will help the rims live longer.

For general riding I'll be using my Mavic X3.1 rims in future...

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Well, I've got one ride and one race(10 days ago) on them so far, so its hard for me to tell yet. And...in the race I was involved in a 1st turn crash, and someone ran over my rear wheel....:(sigh'..The rear was bent badly, altho I managed to recover from a then 21st position, back up to 7th in Sport...wobbling on down the course the whole race. The wheel was saved by my trusty local wheel guy, but its still got one cronically loose spoke he couldn't fix.

I'm using them for a race only wheelset, so I'm not a good test case me thinks. 168lbs rider.

Stans rims in..um..action. It was abit muddy at the race mentioned above....hehe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.