Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about to get a 240 10x135 centerlock rear hub, and will need to convert it to 12x142 axle configuration. Do I need any special tool to make the conversion? Is it complicated ? I will need both end caps and axle, but anything else required?

thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
No, I converted the rear hub without any tools.
Just take the end caps of and replace them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In my case after replacing the end caps I just insert the new axle.
I'm using a Syntace X12 Thru-axle.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
With a second hand DT Swiss centrelock hub make sure you have the special DT Swiss lockring for attaching the brake rotor.:)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-centre-lock-lock-ring/rp-prod10262

The Shimano centrelock lockring that comes with a centrelock disc brake rotor doesn't work with the DT Swiss hub, as you can't tighten the lockring down with a Shimano cassette tool on a thru axle hub due to lack of space.

The DT Swiss centrelock lockring tightens down with a Shimano bottom bracket tool instead.

·
Registered
65 Posts
On my 15mm front I couldn't tighten the lockring. On the back on the other hand I was able to use the same lockring as before.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
If it has the Silver Logo....then you need to swap out the axle and end caps

IF it has the White Logo...then you need to swap out only the end caps.

DT-0545 include a pair of adapters and one hub axle and are compatible with 240s hubs/wheels produced prior to July of 2010 (chrome-style logo sticker)

DT-0547 include end caps only and are compatible with 240s hubs/wheels produced after July of 2010 (white logo sticker)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoa these are all good info that are worth being aware of...

I have a bottom bracket tool, gonna make sure I have the lockring though. I will check out the logo color too...

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
What mtnbikej said is correct. The caps will require some force to pull off. Pliers may be necessary.

There are two types of DT Swiss centerlock adaptor lock-rings. One uses a bottom bracket tool, the other uses a cassette too. They both work on the rear hub.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I got a new wheel with a DT 240s centrelock 15mm thru axle front hub earlier this week. It came with the correct DT lockring included in the packaging.

You should have seen the head scratching as I tried to work out how to tighten a standard Shimano lockring on the 15mm hub before eventually realising my mistake.:lol:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so... whats the thing with lockring? If I get both hubs and buy shimano centerlock rotor, will the shimano lockring work or not?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is my cassette tool just not regular? Because I can't tighten the rear regular shimano lockring onto the 12x142 rear hub...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes they are on the correct sides.

Is my tool the issue, would another cassette tool without the middle rod fit right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts