Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted before...But for a 160 lb XC rider, are revolution spokes okay on discs? I've heard nay. Would getting brass nipples with the prolock help?
Thanks

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
RML said:
Sorry if this has been posted before...But for a 160 lb XC rider, are revolution spokes okay on discs? I've heard nay. Would getting brass nipples with the prolock help?
Thanks
Not worth it, just get the Supercomps. Brass nipples would be pointless as they would offset the weight difference between Revo's and Supercomp's anyway.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
235 Posts
Supercomps

Supercomps were made for light weight XC DB applications. The 1.8mm threaded ends keep more material on the niples, which is why alu-nips are a good choice with Supercomps. Rev's won't fail with DBs', but they could wind up with a 160-lb rider (picture grabbing some front brake while going into a corner, etc...)

Supercomp: 2.0/1.7/1.8mm
Revolution: 2.0/1.5/2.0mm and 1.8/1.5/1.8mm

·
Registered
910 Posts
What is wind up? If you are talking about torsonal strain, I dont think you will feel it.

With the supercomps, it seems like you would want more than 1.8 at the treaded ends. The REvolution 2.0/1.5/2.0 seem better

·
Registered
235 Posts
Windup, meant flex...

Killroy said:
What is wind up? If you are talking about torsonal strain, I dont think you will feel it.

With the supercomps, it seems like you would want more than 1.8 at the treaded ends. The REvolution 2.0/1.5/2.0 seem better
Maybe the wrong term with "windup" sorry. I meant more like lateral flex during extreme handling situations. I think it is very trail and rider specific.

The 1.8 threaded spoke allows a thicker nipple since the 1.8 and 2.0 nips are the same except for the bore.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Would the Super Comps with AL nipples be more robust, or would Revolutions with Brass nipples be more robust?

Super comps with AL = 337 g for 64 pc.
Revs with Brass = 348g for 64 pc.

·
Registered
910 Posts
DaveA said:
Supercomps were made for light weight XC DB applications. The 1.8mm threaded ends keep more material on the niples, which is why alu-nips are a good choice with Supercomps. Rev's won't fail with DBs', but they could wind up with a 160-lb rider (picture grabbing some front brake while going into a corner, etc...)

Supercomp: 2.0/1.7/1.8mm
Revolution: 2.0/1.5/2.0mm and 1.8/1.5/1.8mm
Im building a disk wheel, so Revs vs. Comps has me wondering.

The Comps neck down to 1.7 mm diameter, which is 22% stronger than the Revs 1.5 mm.

-BUT, the cross-sectional area of the 1.8 nip for the comps is only ~6% greater.

In conclusion, the brass nipples would have to be less than 6% stronger or better in fatigue than aluminum for aluminum nipples to be the light weight, robust solution.

In other words, I don't think the 1.8 aluminum nipples are as strong or stronger than the brass 2.0.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Killroy said:
Im building a disk wheel, so Revs vs. Comps has me wondering.

The Comps neck down to 1.7 mm diameter, which is 22% stronger than the Revs 1.5 mm.

-BUT, the cross-sectional area of the 1.8 nip for the comps is only ~6% greater.

In conclusion, the brass nipples would have to be less than 6% stronger or better in fatigue than aluminum for aluminum nipples to be the light weight, robust solution.

In other words, I don't think the 1.8 aluminum nipples are as strong or stronger than the brass 2.0.
The brass nipples would be stronger, but the Supercomp would be a better spoke choice. To me, using brass nipples would totally defeat the purpose of using a super light spoke like the Revo. I would take Supercomps with alloy over Revo's with brass any day. Supercomps and alloy are also saving the weight at the outer edge of the wheel where it matters most. Revo's are very flexy, noticeable difference in stiffness vs. the Supercomp in my opinion.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
235 Posts
brass nips won't fix wheel flex

Killroy said:
Would the Super Comps with AL nipples be more robust, or would Revolutions with Brass nipples be more robust?

Super comps with AL = 337 g for 64 pc.
Revs with Brass = 348g for 64 pc.
Brass nips on the Revs won't fix the wheel flex, so given your above two choices, I'd go with Supercomps w/alu-nips. Over the long haul, yes brass nips will hold up better, but I find alu-nips tend to hold up as long as you'd want to keep the wheel going as a whole; (even DB rims have a limited lifespan and alu-nips out last most XC rims).

The great thing about hand-built wheels is the ability to customize the attributes to fit your thing.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I would ditto what the others are saying. SuperComps and alloy nipples would be the way to go for lightweight disc wheels. Ask DT Swiss and I'll bet they will say the exact same thing. Revs with brass makes no sense whatsoever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.