Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I now have a pretty good wheelset :rolleyes:

Alexrims FD16 (430g)
32 DtSwiss Stainless Spokes 2.0 (not on their website, they are not champion)
Xt Hubs (front and rear)

I would just like to know if it would worth to buy some dt revolution and aluminium nipple, and put them on my wheelset. I just calculated everything and i would save arround 210-220g...

The revolution cost 94$can at my lbs (including nipple) for 72pcs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am an XC guy but you can see me sometimes doing drops and jump or doing some dh in the weekend... I weight 140lbs and i am pretty smooth (I never trued those wheel since last year, they are still perfect !)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worth it ? OR NOT ?

(It will also probably be my first wheelbuilt, i know how to true wheel and i remplaced lots of broken spokes on friends wheelset, i feel pretty confident about building a wheel)

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DeeEight said:
That's half a pound of rotating mass, yes its worth it.
This will also bring my bike at 25lbs flat !

24lbs here i come !!!

-----------------------------------------------------

Is it hard to buil a wheel, i know that each spokes must have roughly the same tension (driveside rear wheel must have more tension)

What about dishing the wheel (i use disk brake) What i should do ? Does the frame must be aligned with the middle of the frame/fork ?

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
I personally would be looking at replacing your XT hubs at the same time. They are boat anchors - with a decent set of hubs you would be looking at about a 200gram weight saving!

The new Hope Pro2 hubs are looking very nice if you can afford them.

Edit: You will save more weight by just replacing the rear hub - you could keep your current XT front hub if on a budget.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Personally, if I were planing on using these wheels for drops, launches, DH occasionally the Revos would be my last choice for spokes, even if you don't do it that often. If you do get the Revos save those wheels for the smoothish XC stuff and get another set to bash on.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bike_freak said:
I personally would be looking at replacing your XT hubs at the same time. They are boat anchors - with a decent set of hubs you would be looking at about a 200gram weight saving!

The new Hope Pro2 hubs are looking very nice if you can afford them.

Edit: You will save more weight by just replacing the rear hub - you could keep your current XT front hub if on a budget.
Hubs are really expensive whre i live for no reason...

A dtswiss 240 cost for exemple 530$ can

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I built my first wheel last night its an old road 36spokes 3x wheel on a ultegra hubs... Everything went fine the wheel is true took me maybe 2hours... Is it me or its just very easy ? :skep: (I used sheldon brown instruction )

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
They're expensive because canada doesn't give favourable duty rates to Taiwan, Singapore and Japan because let's face it, we don't need them for military allies against china and north korea in the far east. The USA on the other hand DOES need them and as such, has very low duties on imports from those countries.

If you ever look at the import duties for various countries, and what other countries give them in terms of penalties and stuff, you quickly determine who a country's "friends" really are. Then again, the USA has such a massive trade imbalance with most countries (ie, they import far more from most countries than they export to them) that its only a matter of a decade or two before the US dollar collaspes and that line from the movie Barbed Wire becomes true... "No, I wanna be paid in canadian dollars".

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
DeeEight said:
They're expensive because canada doesn't give favourable duty rates to Taiwan, Singapore and Japan because let's face it, we don't need them for military allies against china and north korea in the far east. The USA on the other hand DOES need them and as such, has very low duties on imports from those countries.

If you ever look at the import duties for various countries, and what other countries give them in terms of penalties and stuff, you quickly determine who a country's "friends" really are. Then again, the USA has such a massive trade imbalance with most countries (ie, they import far more from most countries than they export to them) that its only a matter of a decade or two before the US dollar collaspes and that line from the movie Barbed Wire becomes true... "No, I wanna be paid in canadian dollars".
Moderator: Please ban Dee Eight from this forum for being anti-Amerikan and delusional. After all, everyone knows that when things get bad here it's a very simple matter for the US to roll north and "liberate" Canadi for our very own.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I run Revolutions on Chris King hubs and ride rocky terrain, rooty trails and do drops and jumps (small jumps). I have broken 2 spokes over 2 years and at least one was nicked from the chain coming off to the inside. I keep extra spokes around but honestly these things are extrememly strong and some of the lightest available.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would say No

I have used them for a couple of years for xc racing: flexy wheels. I weigh 140lbs. For racing sure...for trail riding I prefer less flex and more steering precision. They are super expensive, and if you are not using ultra light hubs and rims...I say it is waste of money especially if you need multiple lengths which bump up cost significantly.

·
Registered
359 Posts
What does favorable trade rates to Tiawan, China, and Japan have to do with a Swiss made product? Perhaps we are indebted to Switzerland as well. I wouldn't be suprised.

Are these for disc or non-disc wheels? I ran them no prob on non-disc, but found them to be very iffy for disc use if you are doing anything more burly than XC. For reference, I am in the same weight category as you, give or take 5lbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.