Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a wheelset off ebay, and they have DT Onyx center lock hubs. Some reviews on MTBR.com complain about freehub failure and slow engagement. Now I'm just wondering if anybody is using this hub, and what their personal experience is.

THanks

Ming

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
I've had an Onyx rear hub on my tracer for a year or so, greased it up when I first put it on, & seems to be holding up fine. Engagement is slow, kinda weird at times, but hasn't thrown me down yet. Only really bugs me when trying to ratchet it to that perfect spot when attempting a start up on a steep or tec. trail. (Don't know what centerlock is?)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kneecap said:
I've had an Onyx rear hub on my tracer for a year or so, greased it up when I first put it on, & seems to be holding up fine. Engagement is slow, kinda weird at times, but hasn't thrown me down yet. Only really bugs me when trying to ratchet it to that perfect spot when attempting a start up on a steep or tec. trail. (Don't know what centerlock is?)
Is the engagement slower than a Shamino hub?? I'm glad to hear it is holding up well. Since I dont jump or do anything too crazy, I'm hoping these hubs are going to last.

Center Lock is just the Shamino's system to hold up disc rotors to the wheel.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've got them on my yeti and I love them. Solid, smooth, and so far they are very durable. Had them for about a year, and I ride them pretty hard. No noticable weaknesses. Before them I ran WTB speeddisc hubs, so that's what I'm comparing them to.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've been running one on the rear of my Scalpel since 2002. I just noticed a little play in the rear cassette the other day...nothing big at all.

I've received some possible solutions in the Drivetrain forum. It's likely that it just needs the bearings repacked, casette shimmed a little or the retaining bolt assembly tightened. I've been happy with them otherwise; I just treat this as routine 'wear and tear' maintenance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.