Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my DT rear hubs with the star ratchet system, and got to wondering if DT might be entering the fat hub market. So, I sent an email and received a response,

DT Swiss is working on some custom hubs for an OEM client. Spacing is 191/198mm and hopefully we can get some into the aftermarket quickly. It might depend on if the hub is exclusive to the client under contract. If so they will be the only source to get the hubs. Of course, I can't say who that is since the hubs have not been produced yet.

Keep your spokes crossed.

urmb

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
191, 198? thats got to be a typo right? right!?
Just what I thought. I copied and pasted the email, so I made no typo.

If true, you'll get 1 mm more for your $!!!!! ;)

Urmb

·
Registered
846 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
My Spearfish 1 came stock with DT hubs, but not in a proprietary spacing (i.e. an already high-volume component). In the fat bike world, volume may still favor QBP (Salsa and/or Surly) enough in the next couple of years to keep DT interested in being exclusive.

On the other hand, Stevob has a point with Specialized. Maybe they learned their lesson with 190mm availability impacting the Fat Boy deliveries, leading them to get DT on the case for their next production run.

No mention of 150mm, though. Did you ask rear-specific?

Whatever is driving it, thanks for posting it URMB! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see what they come up with.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'll take that bet. The winner gets the whole internet for a day.
I like the way you think kid, you gots Moxie!

I'm just kinda wondering what trek will do next year with fatbikes- the Farley was a toe in the water and limited by supplies of both tires and rims. If the Farley sold well enough, I wonder if Trek will actually invest in their own rims, tires and hubs...

Trek isn't exactly afraid of trying new things that don't pan out (remember the 69er?) and then ditching them, would not be surprised to see the farley as a similar half-step into the market.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
dont suppose anymore info on DT fat hubs is forthcoming? im gettign close to needing to get a 197 rear hub and if DT were an option, it would be top of the list...
I spoke with someone who had a direct discussion with them and the way it sounded was 170mm only for now at least.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts