Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just posted my nipple question in wrong thread, my bad.

Could anyone confirm the listed frame weight for the DT is 4.3kg with or without rear shock? I have read how well it carries its weight but I would still like to know what I I am in for.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went from a Gemini weighing 35/36 pounds to my DT weighing 40ish(not weighed it properly too scared) BUT I wouldn't change it I love it. I don't do lots of XC miles on it so the weight does not bother me too much. The weight was my biggest concern before I splashed the cash. Then I built it, rode it and loved it. As string says above it pedals like a lighter bike and it's true. You can always get fitter.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
I had a chance to ride Bikesinmud's DT when he had it built up. I usually ride a 30lb Fisher Cake as a trail bike. Although I could feel the difference in geometry (think katana vs. fencing rapier), it most certainly didn't feel like a 37-38 lb bike while riding it.

I just wish I had the coin to have grabbed that frame from him... :(

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's definitely a topic open to debate, but in my mind a good build for the DT is 38-42 lbs. If your priorities are for a lighter bike, the Endorphin is probably a better choice.

"It's not how much travel you have, it's how you use it."

·
Registered
919 Posts
Juan,
What do you weigh ?. As a lighter guy (145# on a fat day), the Endorphin is way solid. My build is ~31lbs and I ride aggro XC on 2-4 hour rides 3-4 rides/week. It's all about bike/rider weight ratio and inteded use. Example: me 145 lbs, bike 31 lbs. Thats a 4.67
ratio. So if I weighed 200 lbs., pedaling a 42 lb bike would be the same relative weight.
I wish I was a bigger dude, cause that DT is *****in'. Get a test ride on the Endorphin if possible. It's way more capable than one would think.

·
whistler
221 Posts
my large anodized dt is 11.3 lbs with dhx ti coil shock.
whole bike is 38 even with 1.5 fox 36 van and strong but light parts that handle the BC coast riding easily.
not light, but like everyone says, it feels like a trail bike going up or flat, and tears it up on the way down.

·
some know me as mongo
692 Posts
well i know its probably a little late but just to add more info mine weights in at 11.88 lbs with a DHX coil and a 650 lbs spring. like the others have said this frame hides its weight very well and can take a hit with the best of them. recently i rode a new trail that i know had some jumps in it but i thought that they were smaller than they actually were. i needed up hitting them blind and the bike really allowed me to pull it off. i hadn't lowered my seat or anything and i still pretty much hitting them perfectly

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My large is 12.6lbs with a 2.75 stroke CCDB and a steel spring. I had it built up lighter somewhere between 36-37 last fall but by the time the snow melts I'll be riding a 40lb DT. Maily due to swapping the 36 van for a totem coil, bigger hoops and tires plus a longer shock to give over 7" front and back.

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
My large DT is sitting at 36.6lbs complete (my build is listed on the "Help me with my build" thread). As a comparator my XL Santa Cruz Superlight with RP23, F100 RLC, XTR and Mavic 717 rims weighed 30lbs.

6.6lbs for all chucking madness and 4x4 plushness seems like a small price to pay.

·
some know me as mongo
692 Posts
006_007 said:
LOL, ya, I am aware of that, my "sarcasm" formatting didnt come across as much as I had hoped.

Still there are some people going pretty darn big on their DT (FR for most people, MAYBE heavy duty AM by north shore standards :thumbsup: )
ya i was thinking the same thing when i ordered my because i still needed a bike that could full the AM riding that i like to do pretty much more than anything else. this bike delivered perfectly for myself seeing that i'm larger than normal people. it sure can take its hits but it still has great trail manners

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.