Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I've read quite a few threads on this topic but thought it's be easier to query the topic myself.
Here's the scoop. Just found/bought an '07 DT frame that should be on it's way to me shortly. I'm going to be building it up as my do-it-all bike. I am no hucker or extreme type of rider, which probably raises the question of "Why a DT?" Well, I'd love an Endorphin, but this deal came up and it's probably the only way I'll get on a Knolly anytime soon. Plus, I'm sitting at about 240lbs right now (Yikes), so the idea of having a bike that will not complain underneath me is comforting. I'm suspecting it'll end up in the mid/high-30's as far as weight, but that doesn't concern me either....will hopefully help reduce that 240 number...haha.

As for a fork, I'm thinking of lurking around for a Lyrik or equivalent (Bomber 55 of some description?), so I'm hoping some advice will be forthcoming. I started to read about questionable Bomber years/models, and trying to sort them all out in my old brain was making me dizzy.
Also, is it recommended to stick with a 1.5" setup or reduce it down to 1.25"?

Thanks, and looking forward to hitting the trails on the beast.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
If you are trying to keep it light

Fox Float 36 RC2. You should be able to pick up a leftover 09 pretty cheap, its the lightest 160mm travel fork out there, mine weighed 4.6 lbs. Also it has an airspring which is adjustable to your weight. IMO, a 35mm stanchion Lyric or 55 isnt enough fork for the DT, it will look small and might flex some with your size. I think its a toss up on the 1.5 vs. 1 1/8, I personally like the 1.5 headtube but you will have a bigger selection of stems in 1 1/8.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
i tried to build my dt up to be light.... the best i managed was a 35.5lb build. that gradually got heavier. :)
i am still using 36 fox talas rc2. they are very good fork though i am a pretty light person (arround 63kg not sure what that is in pounds.) though i have to say on my last trip to whistler, i was riding the park most days. as i started to improve as a rider and venture on to harder trails. i felt that the 36's were getting towards there limits.
but for general all mountain riding they are great.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Just wondering what sort of steerer tube length I should be looking for? Obviously looking at used forks....
Knolly site says Large headtube is at 4.75". What sort of headset stack heights are out there?
I'm using 2" stem height as a guide, but not sure if that's enough?
In my mind I'm thinking 8" minimum steerer tube length, but wouldn't ya' know it there's a 66 out there that only has 7.5" that has me wondering....

Sorry for all the dumb questions....sigh

Mike

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hey Mike:

Any used fork with an 8" steerer will give you all the length that you need. However, there is a very good chance that you can get away with a shorter steerer.

As you mentioned, the large Delirium T has a 4.75" head tube. Most 1.5" headsets for 1.5" forks will have about a 30-35mm (1.25" - 1.375") stack height.

However, the Cane Creek XXcII (1.5 head tube for 1.125" fork) has a conventional lower cup but a zero stack upper cup, making it's stack height only around 20mm high (0.8").

Hope that helps - cheers!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Give me a week to report back.....

Hi Mike,

I am currently in the midst of upgrading my 09 Fox Talas to Marzocchi 66 RC3 Ti. The new fork will arrive on Wednesday (Thanks Larry...Mountain High Cyclery). I came from the cross-country side of mountain biking, but I was looking for something more. The DT is outstanding and gives me so much confidence. I got the Talas for all mountain biking as I pedal up everything. Coming from a steeper head angle bike, the slacker head angle felt weird at first, but then you figure out and never adjust the fork. I love the bike with it angles. I am only using 40% of the bike's potential, but it is fun, fun, fun! The Talas feels great on jumps with trannies - no problems whatsoever. Anything with a tranny - it is great. However, when it get rough or big drops - ouch (btw - I also had the fork pushed, which improved it)

I rode Dom's bike which has a 66 and it is amazing. It made my knolly feel like a hardtail on some of the rougher trail stuff. The fork also made the bike feel lighter - I can not explain this- you have to experience it. For the most part, everyone here starts at 160mm and ends up with 180mm. It is the nature of the beast. Now I consider myself on the all mountain side, as oppose to the freeride side, but I am excited to get the new 180mm fork. I strongly believe that I will enjoy the new addition without comprimising much on my rides, but improving a lot. So save some money as go bigger now;)....

I will have more to report by next week...

Cheers,
Jamie

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Jamie, couldn't wait....

...got an '07 66 RC2 ETA coming. The fork looks mint and the price was right!!

Thanks Noel for the headset info. I'll be trying to track down one of those Cane Creek's for sure.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, the fork arrived on Saturday, and the frame was just dropped off today (aaargh to UPS and their blasted brokerage fees...), so it's time to put 'er together.

The fork ('07 66RC2 ETA) arrived with a shorter than advertised steerer tube @ 7 3/8". Has anyone used one of the low-stack reducer headsets for their DT? What I'm worried about is the possibility of the crown contacting the downtube.
I have a query directly into Noel, but I'm sure he's a pretty busy guy so I thought I'd post it up here.

I'm also guessing I'll be searching for a lower stack stem, so if there any suggestions on that front too that'd be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Mike E. said:
OK, the fork arrived on Saturday, and the frame was just dropped off today (aaargh to UPS and their blasted brokerage fees...), so it's time to put 'er together.

The fork ('07 66RC2 ETA) arrived with a shorter than advertised steerer tube @ 7 3/8". Has anyone used one of the low-stack reducer headsets for their DT? What I'm worried about is the possibility of the crown contacting the downtube.
I have a query directly into Noel, but I'm sure he's a pretty busy guy so I thought I'd post it up here.

I'm also guessing I'll be searching for a lower stack stem, so if there any suggestions on that front too that'd be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike
Hey Mike:

You will have to be careful here with a zero stack headset: I wouldn't recommend it for a 2009 generation Delirium T frame and a big fork like a 66. However, Cane Creek makes a good compromise: the XXc II headset (ya - I know that's a lot of numbers!) is a 1.5 reducing headset. It is designed to work in frames with 1.5" headtubes with 1.125" steerer tube forks. The headset has a conventional bottom cup but a zero stack upper cup. With your steerer tube length of 7 3/8" you should have plenty of steerer tube unless you need a LOT of spacers underneath your stem.

Let me know how it works out and post some pics when she's built!

Cheers!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Noel,

Thanks for the info, and quick response...geesh man, go home would ya'!!
I've been lurking around trying to look for stem stack heights, and it looks like it shouldn't be a problem finding a stem that'll work.
Looks like I'll be ordering up one of the CC XXcII's, so once it gets here (unless I can find one locally here in Van.) the build will be on....with gratuitous pics of course!!

Thanks again Noel.

Mike

·
J:
5,128 Posts
and. .

Dude! said:
Hi Mike,

I am currently in the midst of upgrading my 09 Fox Talas to Marzocchi 66 RC3 Ti. The new fork will arrive on Wednesday (Thanks Larry...Mountain High Cyclery). I came from the cross-country side of mountain biking, but I was looking for something more. The DT is outstanding and gives me so much confidence. I got the Talas for all mountain biking as I pedal up everything. Coming from a steeper head angle bike, the slacker head angle felt weird at first, but then you figure out and never adjust the fork. I love the bike with it angles. I am only using 40% of the bike's potential, but it is fun, fun, fun! The Talas feels great on jumps with trannies - no problems whatsoever. Anything with a tranny - it is great. However, when it get rough or big drops - ouch (btw - I also had the fork pushed, which improved it)

I rode Dom's bike which has a 66 and it is amazing. It made my knolly feel like a hardtail on some of the rougher trail stuff. The fork also made the bike feel lighter - I can not explain this- you have to experience it. For the most part, everyone here starts at 160mm and ends up with 180mm. It is the nature of the beast. Now I consider myself on the all mountain side, as oppose to the freeride side, but I am excited to get the new 180mm fork. I strongly believe that I will enjoy the new addition without comprimising much on my rides, but improving a lot. So save some money as go bigger now;)....

I will have more to report by next week...

Cheers,
Jamie
It didn't selfdestruct did it?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Noel,

"You will have to be careful here with a zero stack headset: I wouldn't recommend it for a 2009 generation Delirium T frame and a big fork like a 66."

Would there be any issues with an '07 frame (S/N D-T-677)? Just thought I'd check as there's a local Syncros low stack kicking around.

Cheers,

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts