Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't doubt that requests and demands from riders can get a little tiresome, but is there any chance of a five inch Flux in the future? Is seems that for the targeted purpose of the bike (all around bike that can be raced, endurance racer etc.) five inches is becoming the norm. Recently got back from a week riding in BC (BCBR), seems everybody was riding an Ibis or 5 inch Giant. I love my TNT Flux, but I could really use an extra inch (story of my life).

·
Registered
763 Posts
Umm, there's this bike called the Spot......

And before you say "too slack, too pinner" just buy an older "trailbike" which will have steeper angles, your travel requirements, and end up costing you less.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,916 Posts
skunkty14 said:
Umm, there's this bike called the Spot......

And before you say "too slack, too pinner" just buy an older "trailbike" which will have steeper angles, your travel requirements, and end up costing you less.
Or just put a 120-140mm fork on the spot. Lighter, steeper, etc.

In any case, buy the bike that you will enjoy riding 90% of the time. For most people that does not mean a flux. For most people riding any kind of rough terrain, around 5" works pretty nice (as you state), and if you really need to race, buy a 29er hardtail or something for cheap. If you're all about racing, then go with the dw flux and don't complain about lack of travel.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trust me, I appreciate your comments, and have already thought about them before posting. Yes, I've given thought to building/riding a light 5 Spot, but I'm not convinced of it as a "race bike." Of course you could race it, but for endurance events (e.g., stage races) I think it would have some shortcomings. Jayem: I hear what you're saying, but the Flux is marketed as a 'trail' bike that is race ready - and a lot of people I ride with are looking for just such a bike. With the way so many XC courses are being set up these days more travel is becoming more and more important. I don't think it is as simple as saying - you want five inches? Get a Spot.

·
Registered
778 Posts
A 120mm 5 1/2 pound dw flux is a frame i would go for,fast trail or endurance event bike.Trek ex,Yeti 5 etc are good but a flux 120 would be the bike:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Mr Pink said:
A 120mm 5 1/2 pound dw flux is a frame i would go for,fast trail or endurance event bike.Trek ex,Yeti 5 etc are good but a flux 120 would be the bike:thumbsup:
And you have a DW Flux. Or is it a Spot? You don't post enough for me to remember! And more pics, man!

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Anybody doing any custom rockers for the DW Turner line? You know, 5" DW Flux, 6 1/2" DW Spot. :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2TurnersNotEnough said:
Don't know if a Sultan is exactly a 5" Flux (but with the right wheels and tires it's close), but a light 4" travel wagon wheel bike is a pretty good substitute.
I've given thought to this option - in fact pretty torn between the two bikes. The Sultan has the extra travel I'm looking for (and I have, ride, and love my 29 HT), but my experience with FS 29ers hasn't been the greatest. Seemed pretty sluggish in the tight and twisty stuff. Perhaps the Sultan would be different.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,916 Posts
chunkylover53 said:
Jayem: I hear what you're saying, but the Flux is marketed as a 'trail' bike that is race ready - and a lot of people I ride with are looking for just such a bike. With the way so many XC courses are being set up these days more travel is becoming more and more important. I don't think it is as simple as saying - you want five inches? Get a Spot.
The new Flux is being marketed that way a little more, and it has 4.5" of travel. Due to the DW link, I'm sure it uses that travel very well, as the 5.5 spot was better on square-edged hits than my 6.2" travel RFX, so just because it doesn't have 5", don't think that it's not a good trail bike. That said, buy your bike according to what you want. Yes, the Flux is not an all-out XC racing machine, just a good balanced machine that you can probably take on most big epic rides, but then again, some of us really like the downhills on those epic rides, so our weapon of choice would be a 5.5 spot with a 160mm front fork or RFX. That's a sacrifice we make, but I don't see a "gap" in the lines. The 5.5 spot pedals outstanding and can be built up decently light. I can't see needing more than 4.5" of travel on any real XC course, even if it would be nice for a short section, the inherent weight penalty would not be worth it. XC races are NOT won on the downhills.

But, I am talking about the DW flux here. The old flux is an older bike, and did not have as much travel. Not quite the same niche, a little more hardcore XC orientated (even though it was still capable of "trail").

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,366 Posts
chunkylover53 said:
I've given thought to this option - in fact pretty torn between the two bikes. The Sultan has the extra travel I'm looking for (and I have, ride, and love my 29 HT), but my experience with FS 29ers hasn't been the greatest. Seemed pretty sluggish in the tight and twisty stuff. Perhaps the Sultan would be different.
If you're concerned about handling in the tight and twisty, I don't think the DW Sultan is the right answer for your question. It's noticeably less nimble than a Flux. My "tight and twisty" (and a little lighter) bike of choice is the Pivot Mach 429. The handling is very Turner-like, but with a little more responsive geometry (close to the old TNT Sultan IMO) than the DW Sultan. It pedals really well, but it's not as plush as the DW Sultan. Fortunately, there's a lot of good options out there for 100mm travel 29ers (and more coming).

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
1soulrider said:
I'd love to see the Flux at 120-30mm and the Spot at 150.
But that's just me.
No, it's not just you. :thumbsup:

I have a light (~26 lb.) Spot and it is serviceable for XC racing, but I still can't stop thinking about a Flux. A 120mm Flux would get me to stop thinking. ;)

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Hey DT, do you think you might offer a 5 inch version of the RFX? This might also help out chunkylover53 if it doesn't work for the FR crowd.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,916 Posts
And a 5" DHR, then a 7" spot, also a 3" hardtail.

(Not directed at the OP, just adding to the general malay ;) )

1 - 20 of 34 Posts