Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The cartridge bearings on my rear DT 440 Hub are worn and I'm trying to get the one on the drive side out - am having real problems getting it out.

Quite why the bearing is behind the steel ring nut is beyond me... the ring nut is stuck fast in the hub shell. Is it just a case of needing a bigger hammer?

(Bearing on the front hub and disk rotor side of the rear all came out easily.)

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

EDIT: Have just reread the instructions and the steel ring nut unscrews, but I don't have the right tool - doh!

·
Is that Bill rated?
440 Posts
Get the right tool.

Sorry, you are never going to get that out with a hammer. The ring drive hub insert is threaded into the hub shell and DT makes a special tool to remove it, which will make your bearing removal possible. I have found that the amount of leverage needed to remove the hub insert is around two strong people on the wheel with a very solid bench vice to hold the DT tool.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lord Humongous said:
Sorry, you are never going to get that out with a hammer. The ring drive hub insert is threaded into the hub shell and DT makes a special tool to remove it, which will make your bearing removal possible. I have found that the amount of leverage needed to remove the hub insert is around two strong people on the wheel with a very solid bench vice to hold the DT tool.
I now realise that the hammer will never work; I edited my original post when I realised that. And the price of the tool required is enough to think about a new rear wheel... or I may send the entire wheel off to a UK service centre for them to remove.

This has kinda put me off DT Swiss hubs; not exactly self-serviceable at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.