Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a set of DT Swiss 340 centrelock hubs on my BMC xc/trail bike that are mostly flawless, though im feeling that the front and rear of the bike has a noticeable degree of flex that id like to tackle if possible.
I understand this is a lightweight bike, and with the linkage on the rear its never going to be flex-free, but if i could get a stiffer hub interface to keep the rear triangle more rigid, that would help.

Currently i have a QR setup with these hubs, but im interested to see if i can 'convert' these hubs to bolt thru.

I've tried searching and all i could find was that the DT bolt-thru skewers are not compatible with the 340 hubset. Not sure if this is still the case and whether there is a kit available now.

Are there any other options?

Thanks

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Little Willy said:
I've tried searching and all i could find was that the DT bolt-thru skewers are not compatible with the 340 hubset. Not sure if this is still the case and whether there is a kit available now.
340 10mm DT bolt-ON conversion is available. It is the 10mm thick "QR".

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Acc...its/Conversion-Kit-135-mm-thru-bolt-rear.aspx

AND it makes the hub 50g lighter!

You can also try cranking down the standard QR, it eliminated slop on my 340.

P

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mr. P, thanks for the link.

I had a read of the manual for the 340 hub and checked out the conversion kit, though im not sure if i have the full gist of it.

Will that particular conversion kit will turn my centrelock 135mm rear QR 340 hub into a 10mm bolt thru hub?

And excuse my ignorance, but once you have the 10mm axle into the hub, what secures the hub to the frame?
Do you just require a threaded bolt either side?

The conversion kit just looks like it comes with the axle and the end caps.
Im assuming the same bearings and hardware will work with either setup?

Cheers,
Wil

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
But that's what I'm trying to point out: it's becoming epidemic on mtbr for people who don't have information on knowledge to post as if they do, and with authority. It dilutes the knowledge base mtbr has established, and makes finding proper info difficult.

In this case, it was a google search or a manufacturer site search that yielded readily available info.

Additionally, read the wording. I used the word "People", not "'size" to indicate him directly.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Little Willy said:
Maybe because 'size didn't know it could be converted?

I'm sure that if 'size did know that the 340 hub could be converted that he/she would not lie about it
thanks for that.
the last time i recall this exact question coming up there was not a conversion kit available that i or a few others could find.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[QUOTE='size]thanks for that.
the last time i recall this exact question coming up there was not a conversion kit available that i or a few others could find.[/QUOTE]

Yeah same here, that's why I asked the question.

But now there is the conversion kit, i just have to find if our distributor has them and how much they are.

I also like the idea of running the thru-axle RWS skewers with the hubs, so i shall attempt to find the prices for those too.

Thanks for your help Mr. P

wil

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
I am pretty sure that the conversion kit for the 340 is only if it was already a thru axle, and if you wanted to a thru-bolt. 340 quick release version comes with small bearings, and no way you can put a 10mm axle thru that, unless you change the bearings also.

When I talked to DT Swiss, they told me it was not possible to convert 340 QR version. Only 240S and 440. I talked to them early this year, so maybe they came out or will come out with new conversion kits with bigger bearings.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats what I suspected Cable Guy.

From the diagrams on DT's site, it looks like the only thing preventing the 10mm axle working on the 340 QR rear hub is the bearings.

When i'm back at the shop in the new year, i will try and find out from our distributor, if you can actually fit the thru-bolt onto these hubs.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Little Willy said:
Thats what I suspected Cable Guy.

From the diagrams on DT's site, it looks like the only thing preventing the 10mm axle working on the 340 QR rear hub is the bearings.

When i'm back at the shop in the new year, i will try and find out from our distributor, if you can actually fit the thru-bolt onto these hubs.
You should call DT Swiss directly to confirm. They are in Colorado, and really helpful.

I ended up selling my DT 340 wheelset for that reason, and got 240S with 5.1D rims, which are convertible to whatever you want.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,196 Posts
My rear 340 came with 10mm RWS. I was told at the time, either QR or thru. No explanation ie bearings....

I was once told that the 340 was basically a burly 240. Never had a 240 in my hands so have no idea about reality.

michael

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perhaps the conversion kit that Mr. P posted earlier is designed to convert the 340 Thru-Axle hub (150mm) into a 340 Thru-Bolt hub (135mm)?

I live in Australia, so unfortunately a bit hard to call Colorado.
I might try emailing directly

·
Registered
211 Posts
so which is it? I have a set of 340 wheels on order and ordered a kit for those wheels that said specifically that it changes the 340 QR rear in a 10mm thru bolt (RWS). I have an email into DT Swiss hopefully I didnt just order wheels that wont be able to do what I want based on Speedgoat and Chain Reaction cycles.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't heard back from DT yet, so i'm not sure on what the conversion kit does/is for.

As CableGuy said, the bearings inside a standard 340 QR hub are too small to fit a 10mm axle through, so I imagine that the conversion kit advertised on DT's website will convert a 340 Bolt Thru to a Thru-axle (ala RWS).

But i'm not 100% sure.

Jerk Chicken; which hub configuration are you aware of that converts a QR 340 hub to a bolt-on setup?

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Here's my email question to DT Swiss tech dept about a month ago:
"I have DT Swiss 340 mtb IS disc wheeset. Both front and rear 340 hubs are quick release (9mm and 10mm respectively). I am interested in converting my 340 mtb hub to 20mm thru axle in the front hub and 12mm thru axle in the rear. Do you offer a conversion kit for my 340 hub? I see that you do for 240s hub but not 340."

Here's their reply:
"The quick release 340 hubs are not convertible to thru-bolt unfortunately. There are thru-bolt and thru-axle 340 hubs, but these share the same platform as the 240 and 440 hubs and not the QR 340 hub platform. Inside bearing diameter prevents or allows axle configuration conversions. Hope that makes sense."

But I didn't ask about rear 10mm thru rear conversion.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That makes sense.

It would be interesting to see if changing the 340 bearings to a larger internal diametre would allow the use of the thru-bolt setup.

But im not sure i can be bothered with that, might just have to live with the QR.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.