Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I’m not even happy with my CX rays. How much are DT revs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only options are Sapim Race, D-lights and CX Ray. The company is Nobl. I could drop some good weight if I go down in rim ID. The XC/trail set is 27ID Front at 360g and 26ID Rear at 390g. I've been struggling about which to go with-these vs the 440g 30ID rims.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,197 Posts
How about 30mm front, 26mm rear?

I've been running a wider front than rear for years now. Keeps the rims strikes down in the back, as the rim seems less "exposed", for lack of a better word, and gets me more volume for the front tire.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
How about 30mm front, 26mm rear?

I've been running a wider front than rear for years now. Keeps the rims strikes down in the back, as the rim seems less "exposed", for lack of a better word, and gets me more volume for the front tire.
Wide rims are a mostly a residue from the embarrassing push of 2.8-3/0 tires that we witnessed a few years ago. A 24-26 wide inner width works perfectly fine for 2.25-2.6 tires. However there is little weight gain using, say, a 30 mm wheel vs a 26. It is probably thanks to the new hubs but the new DT XMC comes in a 1435 grams, the same of my older narrower DT XMC. It is grams but I would consider a narrower width, especially in the back, for example XC725 asymmetric rim profile carbon 650b carbon rims mtb

·
Formerly of Kent
12,197 Posts
I’m not necessarily saying you’re wrong, but, there are plenty of examples of World Cup XC racers using 29 or 30mm internal rims. Some are using the XMC 1200s.

And they aren’t using plus sized tires.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I’m not necessarily saying you’re wrong, but, there are plenty of examples of World Cup XC racers using 29 or 30mm internal rims. Some are using the XMC 1200s.

And they aren’t using plus sized tires.

Oh, I am sure you are right. I just think that is one of those imaginary benefits that are mostly pushed by the industry to sell more stuff ... and then, yes, you are stuck with whatever is on the market. (Do we really need a 35 mm bar, or 148 instead of 142 hub? or frames with a seat angle that is 2 degrees steeper when you could simply design a saddle with longer rails if some people wanted more forward position?) So, yes, you cannot really buy a narrower rim even if you want to. Fortunately it makes little difference, if any, anyway!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The only options are Sapim Race, D-lights and CX Ray. The company is Nobl. I could drop some good weight if I go down in rim ID. The XC/trail set is 27ID Front at 360g and 26ID Rear at 390g. I've been struggling about which to go with-these vs the 440g 30ID rims.
I looked pretty heavily at NOBL and the same rims you’re looking at.

My worry, is that the 30mm rims (TR37’s) aren’t just heavier because they are wider. They have a beefier carbon layup. And so going with an XC/Trail strength rim on the back to get something narrower/lighter, seems dangerous to me.

If the rims were offered in the same strength, but different widths (a la the DT EX511 and EX471), I’d be much more interested in something like that.

Just seems like at the moment, you have to purchase the width, and usage category together.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,088 Posts
440g is a lot for a carbon rim on an xc bike. The XC/Trail set looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I looked pretty heavily at NOBL and the same rims you’re looking at.

My worry, is that the 30mm rims (TR37’s) aren’t just heavier because they are wider. They have a beefier carbon layup. And so going with an XC/Trail strength rim on the back to get something narrower/lighter, seems dangerous to me.

If the rims were offered in the same strength, but different widths (a la the DT EX511 and EX471), I’d be much more interested in something like that.

Just seems like at the moment, you have to purchase the width, and usage category together.
I’m actually looking at the TR36’s just due to the fact they are lighter than the 37’s By another 100 grams or so and still have the same wider ID. They are both a little heavier than I would like for my local trails which are def XC/trail and not enduro. The 32’s have lifetime crash replacement which is amazing so no worries there.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Yep, that can be a problem, but check rim weight accurately and you can find 30 mm at a decent weight (again DT XMC). Or just get a 26-28 wide rim ... plenty width for any tire you might end up using.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yep, that can be a problem, but check rim weight accurately and you can find 30 mm at a decent weight (again DT XMC). Or just get a 26-28 wide rim ... plenty width for any tire you might end up using.
Yeah those XMC 1200 nice sweet but cost an arm and a leg and likely my marriage! Looks like a big reason they get to that weight is the 180 hubs. I’m curious to know what rim only weight is. I’m guessing just over 400g?

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,088 Posts
If I was going to spend big $ I'd go Roval... 1240g, lifetime warranty, crash replacement... so tempting!

·
Formerly of Kent
12,197 Posts
Yeah those XMC 1200 nice sweet but cost an arm and a leg and likely my marriage! Looks like a big reason they get to that weight is the 180 hubs. I’m curious to know what rim only weight is. I’m guessing just over 400g?
If you use the DT Swiss spoke calculator with the known components, yeah, it’s a 400+ gram rim.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
It is probably just around 400-420, that in carbon is a VERY strong wheel. I bought mine from Europe when the Euro was low, and they were not too bad (I think $1600). But you could get a light bicycle rim/wheel with 240 hubs for much less money and be very happy. I have a left over ridiculous light set (1180 grams) from them that at my weight is hanging in there very well ... add 200 grams for stronger rims and you are set ...

61 - 78 of 78 Posts