Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
less is more
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been invited to photograph an old grist mill in the deep south. Need a camera pack w/ straps to carry a small tripod. I will be traveling on my GT Zaskar. Have Nikon D90 w/ 1 extra zoom lens. Tamrac or Lowepro are great. Need the straps for the tripod.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
The lowpro trekker series has a tripod strap. However, I have the mini trekker and don't really like it all that much while riding a bike. It's a great bag and ok for hiking but a little uncomfortable after a while

But it can suck carrying a lot of camera gear no matter what the pack. It will get the job done.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I use a Tenba sling bag called the Shootout. It's got a pod strap set on the side and can be secured with a waist belt so you don't "unsling it" at wrong time. The Small is a compact size, but the side port is too tight for a large-body SLR (ie D3 or another with extender battery base), so I use the Medium.

Like with everything, you gotta fondle it. Check formal camera stores, where Tenba is popular and you'll find other brands/solutions for your quest, too.

·
BLS439
529 Posts
I think your bag depends on the terrain you are taking to get to your location. If you are transcending narrow single track you are going to want a bag which is narrow with a pod mounted in a vertical position. If you are taking fireroads you bag choice probably doesn't matter.

I've gone back in to the woods a few times with a full (read lots of gear) kit with light stands, flashes, multiple cameras, etc. I've used a couple of bags to accomplish this.

The first is a Lowepro Nature Trekker aw ii. (I prefer this if I am taking lots of gear out for an all day shoot)

The second is a Crumbler Whiskey and Cox. (I prefer this is I am going out light and taking just what I need)

I also use Tenba bags for other duties and highly recommend them. I've never used a Tenba backpack though.

Shoot, I've even used a Camelbak in the past.

Personally, and to each his/her own, I would stay away from anything other than a backpack while riding. Using a messenger bag will cause you to be off balance, pull away from your body on turns, bounce on bumps and drops, and can get caught in trees/bushes/foliage.

good luck and let us know what you choose, why, and how it worked out for you!

·
less is more
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BLS439 said:
I think your bag depends on the terrain you are taking to get to your location. If you are transcending narrow single track you are going to want a bag which is narrow with a pod mounted in a vertical position. If you are taking fireroads you bag choice probably doesn't matter.

I've gone back in to the woods a few times with a full (read lots of gear) kit with light stands, flashes, multiple cameras, etc. I've used a couple of bags to accomplish this.

The first is a Lowepro Nature Trekker aw ii. (I prefer this if I am taking lots of gear out for an all day shoot)

The second is a Crumbler Whiskey and Cox. (I prefer this is I am going out light and taking just what I need)

I also use Tenba bags for other duties and highly recommend them. I've never used a Tenba backpack though.

Shoot, I've even used a Camelbak in the past.

Personally, and to each his/her own, I would stay away from anything other than a backpack while riding. Using a messenger bag will cause you to be off balance, pull away from your body on turns, bounce on bumps and drops, and can get caught in trees/bushes/foliage.

good luck and let us know what you choose, why, and how it worked out for you!
Thanks - good info. I'll let you know how it goes. Other scenes on this job include shooting horses on open field, against a barn, next to the mill pond, etc. Never had prize horses for subjects untill now.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
The best way to go is to use a smaller topload bag from LowePro, and put it inside of a larger backpack like the Dakine HeliPro. I do this for hiking, biking, and skiing and its the best solution I've found (and cheap, too). Plus, it has plenty of straps for the tripod, as it was made to carry skis or a snowboard, and plenty of room for a hydration pack and other tools and goodies.

When you need to stop and take pictures, all you have to do is unzip the top of the HeliPro, reach in and grab the camera. Perfectly simple.

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Clik Elite

Wow - I drop by Mtbr for the first time in a month or so and someone needs my help. It's nice to be needed :D

Hands-down, no competition, the best on-bike pack I've used for carrying serious camera gear is the Clik Elite Medium Nature. They're a new company and I was one of the first people to really get to use their stuff. I got the Medium Nature in the spring and used it all season (it's ski season now). At times it weighed over 20 lbs with water, extra clothes, tools and camera gear. I've ridden with a 5D Mk II, 24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8L, flash and radio slaves as well as bike gear and water in the pack. I did a 30+ mile ride at altitude with it and I've ridden technical trails in Moab and Fruita with it packed full of camera gear. It's not the lightest pack in the world, but it's made for hydration, the harness is great and it's got a dedicated camera compartment. The other camera bag companies make bags that are fine for moving gear around. But I don't think anyone else really makes backpacks for serious outdoor photographers.

My Clik Elite Medium Nature Video & Review >>

Clik Elite also has some smaller packs. But the Medium Nature is the only one I've seriously used. It's my go-to pack when I've want to do some serious photography on the trail. Check their site because I expect they'll announce some new stuff this month at the Outdoor Retailer tradeshow.

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
I don't know about a laptop. It doesn't have a laptop sleeve or compartment. But you could remove the camera dividers and the top compartment usually carries all my tools, extra clothes, etc. If I have one complaint about this pack it's that it's too big.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.