Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking about the Sun DS-2/Deore wheelset from JensonUSA to save about 450g over my Rhyno Lites. Are these rims going to hold up? I know that handbuilt will always be better, but I need to save up for a Marathon Race and some stuff for my freeride bike. Anyway, for $89, should I go ahead and get this wheelset and enjoy a light ride now, or save up another couple months for a Crossland wheelset or something like that?

Edit: the Marathon is not for my freeride bike, getting the new 150 mm Z1 FR1 for that! :D

·
blithering idiot
41 Posts
This has been a good wheelset for me...

I bought this exact wheelset from JensonUSA. The Deore hubs felt like gravel was in it when it came and would barely turn, but then I found the hubs to be too tight, and after loosening up a half turn or so, they feel very decent, but I'm sure there are better hubs.

The DS-2 Rims have held up fine over about 20 rides of fairly technical XC with some 4-5ft drops. I weight 250lbs on a 5" travel Giant VT-1. I had to true the wheel when I got it, and did it once since then. The rims have a larger diameter than any other I have ever used and getting tires off and on can be a pain, at least two levers is needed.

I run these tubeless with IRC Serac's. I use Stan's sealant with a home made electric/strapping tape setup and a cutout presta stem. It loses about 5lbs pressure per week.

Anyway, it's been a great wheelset for me. It's pretty light and strong, considering the cost especially. Just remember that it's hard to get tires on and off. I've read this about the DS-1 and DS-2.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
I would say, save your money.

Just save yuor money, when you get more, get some handbuilt wheels with something like Hope XC hubs, decent spokes, alloy nips and your choice of rim(I don't think the suns are the best choice, because if you do get a flat in a race, you will loose ALOT of time fiddling with tire levers..).

All of this can be had for about 350. Although expensive, it really is worth it. These wheels would be another 300 or so grams lighter then the DS-2/deore wheelset.

This my 2cents:)

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'd say stay away from ds2' or ds1's. Not only are they a pain in the a*s to get tires off of, i felt like they came out of true ALOT easier than any of the offerings from mavic that i've owned. That said, maybe you could get a nice XT/717 whhelset. I've seen them on-line for $150.00-$160.00.

·
blithering idiot
41 Posts
That's true, a XT/717 combo for $160 is much better, but if $89 is all you have, you can't really complain for the DS-2/Deore combo. Except when you are trying to get tires off.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtnbiker1973 said:
I'd say stay away from ds2' or ds1's. Not only are they a pain in the a*s to get tires off of, i felt like they came out of true ALOT easier than any of the offerings from mavic that i've owned. That said, maybe you could get a nice XT/717 whhelset. I've seen them on-line for $150.00-$160.00.
what do those weigh in at?

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
XT hubs weigh the same as Deore(within couple of grams). So the only weight saving would be coming from the rims..

Still, I'd say save your money and get a nice and light wheelset....

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I was thinking of saving up for is the FSA XC-300 wheelset, but I find it really hard to justify spending that much. (about $300). Where can I find the best deal on a 717 wheelset? I don't want the Hope XC hubs like Jenson USA has because I'm going to be buying two $450 forks at about the same time as the wheels, and really want to keep the price down. Shimano hubs haven't given me any real trouble, I've only had to adust them once I believe. Right now looks like 717 may be the way to go in terms of weight.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I can get the LX/717 build for $184. That way I'll be saving about 1.4lbs over my Rhyno Lites, and when I put the Marathon Race on there along with the Next LPs I have sitting around, that'll save nearly three pounds. ...putting me at 25 lbs. Probably heavy by your standards. (click on my signature to see the bike itself.) Might switch the bars around sometime, but otherwise, getting a nice wheelset like the 717 will put me as far into the XC evolutionary chain as I care to fund. Will probably be getting the 717s just to avoid upgrading anytime soon. Thanks for turning me on to those!

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
DId you mean XT hubs??

Shimano hubs are good, it's just they are heavy:) Other then that, they are fine.

I wouldn't bother with the FSA wheels, now those are crap. It is basiclly a normal cheap wheelset with some spokes removed. Much weaker and flexier.

Post some pics when the bike is done:)

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bike_freak said:
DId you mean XT hubs??

Shimano hubs are good, it's just they are heavy:) Other then that, they are fine.

I wouldn't bother with the FSA wheels, now those are crap. It is basiclly a normal cheap wheelset with some spokes removed. Much weaker and flexier.

Post some pics when the bike is done:)
Nope, the LX/717 set is from soul, the only other option with 717 is the XTR. Never really even seen LX hubs before, wonder if they meant Deore? And thanks for the advice on the FSAs, cause I was almost considering it. I ride pretty aggressively, can't have something flexy. And I'll certainly post some pics. I like to show off my bikes. :D

·
Lazy People Suck
776 Posts
Look at Deore/Mavic 223 setup

I bought at set for under $100.00 about a year ago. I think it was at Pricepoint. While the Mavic 223 is not on the forefront of weightweeniedom, it is reasonably light (around 450 grams) and, by all accounts, a better quality rim than the DS2.

I don't remember where, but I have seen them recently for around $100.00. I agree that when you get your Deore or XT hubs, repack them with grease and adjust the cones and they will serve you well.

·
Just Ride!
1,284 Posts
I ran a set of these with Stan's for about a year with no issues and think they are a great buy. Now that I ride 29er's, I would give anything to find a rim with that tight of a tire fit!

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bike_freak said:
Are these wheels disk brake or V?

If they are V, then the LX hubs will be great, they have been around since the beginning of time and i haven't heard of any problems with them:)
They are disc. Pretty sure its with the disc only 717s too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.