Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Caution: Freerider
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love riding in the rain and i try making my bike equipped with wet weather riding... i use white lighting lube to lube up my parts. Here's the situation: I lubed up my parts one day and then a couple weeks later i rode in the rain (the film of the lube is still on the chain and stuff) but the day after i had some rust on my chain even after padding down my parts with a towel (i know, not much drying off).
I was wondering if there is a better way to dry off a drivetrain after some riding in the rain even if i have white lighting on.
thanks

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I try to wipe down after a wet ride or washing the bike, especially the chain, and then re-lubing at that point (idea being for the lube to displace the water). It might also reflect the quality of the chain.

·
Caution: Freerider
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I try to wipe down after a wet ride or washing the bike, especially the chain, and then re-lubing at that point (idea being for the lube to displace the water). It might also reflect the quality of the chain.
what happens if its still raining outside... if i dry off the chain it'll just.. get wet again. but isnt white lightning supposed to be for wet riding? you know... so i wouldnt hafta dry it off and crap... just wodnering

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Use a wet lube for riding in the rain. As it's oil based it will protect your chain from rusting.
bsr35802 said:
what happens if its still raining outside... if i dry off the chain it'll just.. get wet again. but isnt white lightning supposed to be for wet riding? you know... so i wouldnt hafta dry it off and crap... just wodnering

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,761 Posts
I just drop mine a few times

Did a rain ride on Wednesday. When I get home I drop the bike 3-4 times from about 2' off the ground. When it bounces all the water flies off. I usually give the cranks a few good backwards spins just to make sure its all off. I never wipe the drivetrain as that will remove lube as well.

I also use White Lightning and have had good luck with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.