Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Link says, "Spray.Bike paint is a dry matte powder coating that doesn't drip, dribble or misbehave in any way and gives a deep thick layer with just a single coat."

IDK what that means, per se. Obviously it's not what is usually meant by power coating, which goes on as an electrostatically deposited dry powder that is melted/fused/cured at high temperature. I can hazard a guess that it contains one highly volatile carrier component that evaporates before the paint hits the surface leaving it semisolid rather than liquid. It does sound better than the common hardware store rattlecan stuff.

I'll add that I've never seen a good hard durable paint surface come out of a spray can. It might exist, but I haven't seen it. I have used automotive two-part polyurethane paint that does do a great job, but that requires a compressor, HVLP gun, paints, solvents, eye protection, respirator, and a place to do it.

·
Almost Human
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not powder coat----read the link it is acrylic ----no way powder coat can just be sprayed on---beyond that it may be a fine product
Yup, that's why I was asking if anyone has used it. I've never heard of a "dry" powder coat. Not sure I want acrylic paint on my bike. Enamel, yes. Water-soluble acrylic, not sure that's a good idea.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
FWIW: I'm pretty sure the paint is not water soluble once cured. The spec says, "Permanent and resilient: UV-resistant and weather-resistant." I haven't used it, but I suspect you can do a pretty nice job with it. I wonder how hard the finish is, how well it adheres, and how good its overall durability is.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Interesting. I wonder how it stacks up to the steel-it stuff, which I've seen start to trickle into the automotive project world. I'd be tempted to dress up the fat bike as a test (for either).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.