Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just overhauled the trashed drivetrain on my bike with a new big chainring, new chain and cleaned up cog, deraileurs and small chainring. I put my usual wet lube (Pedros Syn Lube) on and head out for a 30 minute ride to my bike shop and back. WHen I get home, the drivetrain is already covered in sand and grinding like... well, a drivetrain covered in sand!

I'm starting to think this has a lot to do with why my drivetrain was trashed in the first place, so I'm wondering if I can get away with using a dry lube for snow biking? Anyone do this and have good or bad experiences?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
i cant comment on using anything below -8 celcius (coldest yet here in uk) but i did use squirt drylube for beachriding..great lube but it washed off (being bio degradable) when riding through streams,water on beach etc.. so now i use castrol motorcycle chainwax (airsol spray) and its brilliant..this now im riding daily to work in snow and i wipe the chain dry every couple of days and add more..hasnt frozen yet..,also holding up to sea water and uk road salt :thumbsup:

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I rode my pugs for hundreds of miles on the Bering Sea coast beaches, and a dry, wax-based lube definitely helped shed sand. Any oil-based lube was a sand magnet. I used Rock n Roll Extreme (the blue stuff) if memory serves. Any similar product would suffice (like Boeing T-Shield, White Lightning, etc).

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
FishMan473 said:
I just overhauled the trashed drivetrain on my bike with a new big chainring, new chain and cleaned up cog, deraileurs and small chainring. I put my usual wet lube (Pedros Syn Lube) on and head out for a 30 minute ride to my bike shop and back. WHen I get home, the drivetrain is already covered in sand and grinding like... well, a drivetrain covered in sand!

I'm starting to think this has a lot to do with why my drivetrain was trashed in the first place, so I'm wondering if I can get away with using a dry lube for snow biking? Anyone do this and have good or bad experiences?
Pedro's ice wax works for me.

·
no dabs
410 Posts
Having tried both, it appears to me that boeshield T9 is more suitable for cold temperatures than white lightning. The white lightning "appears" to not penetrate, but rather "freeze" on contact, crack, and fall off when applied to a cold chain, where the boeshield behaves roughly the same at cold temps as when warm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have been experimenting with no lube.....i start with a clean chain that is void of lubricant, grease , dirt or grit and in the snow as long as you aren't riding in any salt......well the results are promising. Heresy.........i know

·
Registered
10 Posts
Boeshield T-9 works fine in sub-zero temps, and after a few hundred miles of snow-only use my driveline still looks clean and shiny. As with all lubes, put it on, let it soak and dry abit, then wipe off any extra.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeaahh, the no lube thing certainly would not fly here. Salt is pretty much ubiquitous in the winters in WI.

For the record I used Pro-Link at the race this weekend and after 48 miles the chain looks like new. With that said, the conditions were pretty much ideal for a chain in the winter: it was so cold that salt couldn't melt the snow so even the couple miles on streets was moisture free. Didn't seem like there was much, if any, sand on the road either. Then the rest of the course was miles and miles of dry powdery snow.

·
one chain, two sprockets
354 Posts
I use dry/wax lube exclusively - Winter/Sumer, wet/dry. I use the Finishline Wax + Krytox. A LBS sells it dirt cheap and there is actually a Dupont-branded aerosol version sold at Lowes. The Aerosol is nice as it delivers lube in a highly liquefied state, so the carrier helps purge and penetrate the chain rollers.

Only caveat I have encountered: do not leave the Finishline bottle in the garage in winter - the wax will solidify (thaws-out fine though).

Tom P.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts