Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've ridden in Pisgah. Maybe a wimpy question, but which trails would you avoid if you wanted to keep your feet dry? Isn't South Mills higher on the water-crossing count? Even Cove Creek has a creek crossing, right?

I'm coming up for some riding next week. Looking at the current weather forcast, looks like it'll be in 40's and 50's most days during the week. Wet and cold aren't high on my fun factor list.

Thanks for any advice. Trying to narrow down my plans from the buffet of loop offerings in the PAS sticky.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Bradley Creek, S. Mills, Laurel Creek, etc. should be avoided if you want dry feet. However, some of the best riding in Pisgah is in that area. Cove has a couple small crossings. Nothing you cant rock hop over.

What distance/tech level are you looking for? The PAS rides are great but you can also link up other stuff if you want more climbing/scenery/downhill etc.

One of my favorites is ride up 276 to Pilot Mt. Rd(FR 229) and ride Farlow Gap -> Daniels Ridge - > 276 -> Long Branch -> Cat Gap... thats THE Pisgah Loop for me...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Bent Creek is dry feet. Cove Creek is dry feet, you cross several creeks but always bridges. Mills River wet for sure. Trace Ridge area is closed due to logging.

Seasonal Trails are still open till April 15th. Some FS roads are still closed from the winter closings, would think they will open soon but don't really know.

With he one exception of Corn Mills Shoals crossing, DuPont is all dry feet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm looking at 15-20 mile loops in the 3-4K' range. Not looking at death marches. I've barely had a chance to scratch the surface there, so I have much to explore.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Besides what was mentioned, most of DuPont will keep your feet dry also.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yes, it's a whimpy question. Jk. Just stay high on the ridges - Laurel mtn, Pilot, Black mtn, Buckwheat, Club Gap, Bennett Gap, etc.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are all the stream crossings on Long Branch/Farlow bridges?

Snow is back in the forecast for Tues! High of 42 on Weds. I'm missing wonderful 60's temps on either side of this trip. Still, can't wait to hit the trails.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The only places you'll have to worry about wading a creek is parts of S. Mills, Bradley Creek, and Laurel Creek.

Every other crossing is easy to hop right over. Cold weather is relative too. When your grinding up Pilot Mtn. Road or Clawhammer you'll be glad its cold...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts