Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the text from Fox News:

car driven by an alleged drunken driver plowed into a bicycle race along a highway near the U.S.-Mexico border Sunday, killing one cyclist and injuring 10 others.

Juan Campos was apparently drunk and had fallen asleep at the wheel before crashing into the race in Monterrey, Mexico, police investigator Jose Alfredo Rodriguez said.

A photograph taken by a city official shows the horrifying moment of impact. The force of the collision sent bicyclists and equipment high into the air and Matamoros newspaper El Mañana described children crying, women shouting for help and men trying to lynch Campos before police arrived to arrest him.

Killed in the crash was Alejandro Alvarez, 37, of Monterrey.

Campos told police he was an American citizen from Brownsville, Texas. The U.S. consulate could not immediately confirm that.

"We are looking into the incident in terms of whether American citizens were involved,'' consulate spokesman Todd Huizinga told the Associated Press.

The crash happened 15 minutes into the race along a highway between Playa Bagdad and Matamoros, authorities said.

A total of 452 cyclists were participating in the 21-mile race, which was canceled after the incident.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,362147,00.html

Attachments

·
ICORR - FORC
269 Posts
Awful. No other words suffice. . .

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know, it's pretty bad. I'm not a roadie, but I sympathize with any tragedy of this magnitude. From looking at the picture, I think it's fortunate that more were not killed or injured.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I heard about this accident on Sunday from a Co-worker who was on the ride. I spend a large amount of time in Matamoris for my company and it was a tragity to say the least. I have other photos from the accident which were sent to me but for respect of the families I refuse to distribute them. My Co-worker was in the same Brownsville bike club that the one rider who died was affiliated.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved and I hope the injured riders heal up and get back on the bikes.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I really hope that they punish that driver to the full extent of the law. It is really scary to see that picture.

Brian

·
Registered
116 Posts
What a gut wrenching picture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts