Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one gotten this to work? I would like to have this on my bike with my Ethirteen Bash.
If you were able to get this to work what Bottom Bracket did you use?
Thanks,
M.C.tigre

·
Registered
162 Posts
Takes a little extra somethin'. I have had headaches fitting these to a few bikes - specifically ones with 73mm BB & 50mm chainlines. If you use one of the newer cranksets with outboard bearings the granny ring bolts will hit the backing plate of the DRS.

I have found that the easiest cranks to work with are Race Face with X Type BB's. You will need to replace the standard 3.5mm elastomer on the left crank arm with the supplied 2.5mm elastomer - no spacers on the left side. On the right side place the DRS plate against the BB and use a 1mm BB spacer (not supplied) between the plate and the BB Cup - place two 1mm spacers between the right crank arm and the BB cup.

If for some reason you cant find a 1mm BB spacer you can grind down the face of the chainring bolts that hold the granny ring in place.

Another option that I havent tried but might work is the setup I used on my VP Free. The VP Free is whacked because it has a 73mm BB with a 150mm rear axle. Race Face makes an adaptor for 83mm BB to allow them to fit on 73mm BB shells. The adaptor consists of several spacers and a shorter BB Sleeve. This might allow you to use a Diabolus Crankset with an 83mm BB/longer spindle and increase your chainline by a few mm to keep the chainring bolts from rubbing.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
give the guys at e13 a call... they are really helpful....

in the meanwhile there shouldn't be any reason the drs wont fit.

However you probably will have to remove a small bit of material from above the roller guard area.... to help it get better rotation on the guide so that the bash will hit first instead of the roller guard.

all the outboard set ups should work... give the boys at e13 a call, they'll put ya on the right track.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh I talked with the guy's at E-thirteen and someone is supposed to call back tomorow. The one that I spoke to said there is a diff. with the Truvative Bottom Bracket size about 1mm than what is standard. Bomberdier, what year is your Nomad? If 06 then how were you able to get yours to work. I really want this for my bike and dont want to have to get a new Bottom Bracket and cranks.
Thanks,
M.C.tigre

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bomberdier,
Thanks, that might help me out knowing that it is internal. Looking at these photos of the VP Free the Non drive side crank arm seems to be realy far away from the bottom bracket. Is this normal, nesesary or what? Seems too wide apart?
Curious,
M.C.tigre
My Bike gets here Tomorow!!!!! Finaly

·
Registered
162 Posts
left side crank spacing...

The non drive side is definetly spaced far from the BB. This is not normal relative to most other bike models but is neccesarry on the VP Free. The VP Free has a 73mm BB - 150mm x rear spacing - 57mm chainline. SC's explanation is a little fuzzy but it had to do with all the criteria they placed on the design - single, double & triple compatable, 150 x 12 rear end, 8.5" travel, etc...

What you are looking at in the middle photo is a Race Face Diabolus crankset with an 83mm BB with a 73/68mm adaptor. In the middle photo you can see two 5mm aluminum spacers and three 1mm white spacers. There are also spacers on the drive side. If you look at the drive side you will notice that the granny ring is spaced far from the backing plate of the DRS. On a 73mm outboard BB crankset that granny ring will hit the backing plate unless you follow the install in my previous post which adds an extra mm of spacing than recommended.

Theoretically the set-up on my VP Free should work on your Nomad since you are only using 2 chainrings and a bashguard. This setup would effectively put your granny ring between the middle and granny ring position with a 73mm setup. If you were to go this route you would probably have to set-up your front derailler to block out the first position on your shifter using the middle position for your granny and the outer position for your middle ring. In addition you could fine tune the chainline with the included 1mm spacers.

Downside would be the weight of the Diabolus crankset. Bottom line is that it sucks that it has to be so frickin' complicated. You would think the mfgs. would get this figured out so we wouldnt have to resort to rocket science for dummy's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.