Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a heckler with a 5th air and want to know if you guys think it will stand up to five footers to flat, some djs and bigger drops with trannys. money is REALLY tight so i dont really have a choice

G

·
Drops to flat are never a good idea.....

Everything else should hold up.....I would suggest running the air a little less then you would normally, like 5psi less so that the shock is a little plusher....

As long as your are smooth you will be fine. Pro 4x's usually run with air shocks and there bikes hold up pretty well.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
Whoaohohohoh said:
Drops to flat are never a good idea.....

Everything else should hold up.....I would suggest running the air a little less then you would normally, like 5psi less so that the shock is a little plusher....

As long as your are smooth you will be fine. Pro 4x's usually run with air shocks and there bikes hold up pretty well.
The reg 5th air is not recommend for agressive FR and such - the shock itself apparently loads up and busts. There is an FR version either coming soon or possibly available already, if hat is not the one you already have.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Whoaohohohoh said:
True, 4X'ers do ride with air shocks. They are very smooth though. However, they don't do drops to flats on the 4x course.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huck Banzai said:
The reg 5th air is not recommend for agressive FR and such - the shock itself apparently loads up and busts. There is an FR version either coming soon or possibly available already, if hat is not the one you already have.
where did you find info on the FR version?

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
i think it depends on your weight too, i have done many 3-4 foot drops to flat while urban riding with my 575 with a 5th air and have had no problems, but i weigh in at about 160 or so...

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
billybobzia said:
i think it depends on your weight too, i have done many 3-4 foot drops to flat while urban riding with my 575 with a 5th air and have had no problems, but i weigh in at about 160 or so...
i weigh 150 geared so thats good news. thanks for the replies

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,015 Posts
5th Element® CV/t® Gravity™

I think the "FR version" 5th Air is this one...

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/5th-element-gravity.html

I haven't seen it as aftermarket on most of the online stores, but somebody else posted earlier that it's supposedly spec'ed on Specialized Enduro bikes out there already.

I'm only 150lbs + 10lbs/gear, and I have the "regular" 5th Air (got it recently). So far I've done ~3ft with it without any problems. Next I'll work up to those ~4ft with it, and see. Even my older Fox Float R (w/ narrower main chamber) did fine with those ~4ft (my max), too. If no-good, then I still have my Romic D.

Have fun,
- PiroChu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.