Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is anyway to put some adaptor or clamp on my 12 speed Shimano XT shifter, that will drop the whole unit and levers down a little? To make shifting easier? As they are right now, they are really really close to the underside of the bar, and it's super hard to up shift since that button is so close to the bar and grip.

Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Automotive tire

You can see here what I'm referring to. The red center lines are how it is right now. To close to the bar and makes it extremely difficult to upshift.
The blue lines are where I'd like the levers to be. Down farther

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Light Automotive tire

Here, it seems as if the levers ARE down farther and using some special adaptor or clamp I don't have. I just have the std round on the bar clamp. Doesn't hold my brakes and the shifter. Just the brand new 2021 Shimano XT shifter. I also realize, this photo could just make it "seem" like the shifters are lower because of a camera angle glitch or something. But they sure do look lower.

So just wondering if there is anything I can do to drop the entire assembly and levers down even just a few mm's or more with a different adaptor or clamp? Thanks

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,363 Posts
Or just rotate it a bit closer? They're supposed to be adjustable.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I hate the shifters because of the positioning of that lever, I can never get my whole thumb on the lever, just the edge which makes the chunky shifting feel even worse.

·
No Clue Crew
7,351 Posts
It’s the new Ispec mount, adjustable in all directions. Try loosening the bolt that connects to the brake clamp and adjust as desired.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the new Ispec mount, adjustable in all directions. Try loosening the bolt that connects to the brake clamp and adjust as desired.
Is that iSpec adaptor compatible with Magura MT7 brakes? My XT shifters are literally just the direct to bar mount style. No fancy adaptor or anything.
Like this
Bicycle part Camera accessory Auto part Event Composite material

·
No Clue Crew
7,351 Posts
?? I assumed the first photo you posted was actually your own cockpit. Disregard.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,363 Posts
?? I assumed the first photo you posted was actually your own cockpit. Disregard.
So did I. But it still wouldn't stop you from rotating the shifter unless they interfere somehow, but without seeing it in person that's tough to tell.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a similar setup - 12s shimano shifter non i-spec. Just rotate it a bit and it'll work. Worse comes to worse (worst?) you have to reach your thumb back a little for the downshift.

This is why I really liked the Box single trigger shifter. If they made a 12s shifter it'd be on my bike right now.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Magura does have Shiftmix 4 clamps to match with i-Spec EV shifters/dropper remotes.

Sent from my LIO-N29 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I see that. Just wondering if it drops the shifter down any? Or allows you to move the shifters around in different ways to get the shift levers better situated so you can actually use both of them? Thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If your shifter has its own clamp can't you just rotate it lower?

Tim
That's what I asked (and was ignored). 🤔
No, you can't just rotate it. That's why I'm asking what can be done? It only will rotate down, which would make the problem even worse. It would make the larger downshift lever that is already out in front more, come up even more into my thumb, thus hiding the smaller out of the way upshifter even more away from my thumb or finger.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,902 Posts
Is that because the brake master cylinders would get in the way?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is that because the brake master cylinders would get in the way?
Yeah, the brake lever/master cylinder prevents the shifter from moving much. They almost have to be adjusted in unison and I can never really get it perfect. I'm just going to see if my LBS's know anything about this and see if they think the Magura Shiftmax 4 adaptor and the Shimano IV spec adaptor would help me at all or not? It would be like 50-70 busks to get those two adaptors, and I don't want to do that unless it would help out a lot. Thanks for trying to help everyone

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Does the shifter sit inside the brake lever on the handlebars? Whichever side it is, can you try moving it to the other side?

Tim

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does the shifter sit inside the brake lever on the handlebars? Whichever side it is, can you try moving it to the other side?

Tim
That's what I did last night and was much happier with the new setup today. My bike came setup with the shifter & dropper mounted to the inside of the brake mounts and the brakes mouted as far outward as they could be. Being newbe I just thought that was the way it was suppose to be but was looking at YouTube yesterday to see the recommended brake lever angle and discovered the way it came probably wasn't the optimum arrangement. Moved the brakes inward about and inch and put the shifter and dropper to the outside of the brakes and it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
242 Posts
I’ve had issues with brakes and shifters interfering with one another too. Shifters should have a ton of adjustments possible IMO. Almost like a ball mount on a track that could move in/out from bar axis. I’m just throwing stuff out. It would be great to move them further/closer to the bars (rotating doesn’t change distance from bars), as well as total angle adjustment

·
Never trust a fart
4,440 Posts
This is one of the main reasons I prefer Sram over Shimano. I prefer the Sram thumb/thumb design over the Shimano dual release lever (thumb/finger). And when you get into the nicer XO/XX1 shifters, the main thumb lever is able to be positioned for better reach of the thumb, and it's further away from the bars than the Shimano shifters (talking about using the thumb to upshift to the smaller gears). IMO, Shimano needs to work on the ergonomics a little better on the thumb side of things. When using your index finger, it falls directly on the paddle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts