Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering buying this rig for my 2nd bike to complement my 42 pound stinky dee-lux. This will be a great exploration epic bike at 30 pounds. One thing though, I like to drop the seat on downhills, wondering how much you can. Since I only weigh 160, on my last bike I rode the seatpost about 3/4 inch past the warning label (since only on the ups anyway, not alot of stress), I figure doing that I could get a decent amount of seat dropage? What do people think? 4-5 inches using it about 3/4 inch past the safe mark when in the climbing position?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
another quick question. the seatpost is 27.2 mm, the smallest telescoping seatpost is 28.6. but there is a shim on teh vt right, it is possible to remove to make it wider diameter?

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Most Giant VT owners remove the standard [squeeky] seatpost/shim setup in the LBS and swap it for a Thom.son of 30.8 or 30.9 diameter.

The 30.8 being the best choice. I only ever drop my seat a bit when facing a loooong steep downhill run..but you have to be careful of the swing.er shock, as the bottom of the seatpost can hit it and cause damage.

I think 4-5 inches on the VT is asking a bit much, I only get about 2", and running the post up past the factory recommended setting, even on the 'up's' is placing stress on the frame.

I guess you can try it...but i would be careful...you may break the frame or damage the shock.

R.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a non issue. a friend just checked in person, in the 5.7 inch mode you can drop it all the way, in 5 inch mode you can't.(hits shock) no problem, mine wil be in 5.7 inch mode all the time!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 20.5 with a swinger 4 way, and you can't drop the seat all the way (with a 30.8 post). However, it does go pretty far down (perhaps 4" of post showing?) before it hits the shock.
It is possible to mount the shock upside down to get a few more inches, but you have to get some custom bushings machined.

Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a Swinger 4-way and a Thompson post on my VT. I took a sawzall and cut about 2" off the post and now all is fine... I think it really helps to get as low as you can behind the seat for big downhills the way the geometry is set up on these.

·
Registered
178 Posts
m2k said:
I have a Swinger 4-way and a Thompson post on my VT. I took a sawzall and cut about 2" off the post and now all is fine... I think it really helps to get as low as you can behind the seat for big downhills the way the geometry is set up on these.
i got a 04 swinger, and the standard EA50 pi55ed me off

anyway, i recently acquired a titec knock sooper.... and it is truly super! i can drop my post way low for some freeriding

very very happy camper

only wished i did it earlier

·
Registered
4 Posts
VT Seatpost

wotzapollohimalaya said:
i got a 04 swinger, and the standard EA50 pi55ed me off

anyway, i recently acquired a titec knock sooper.... and it is truly super! i can drop my post way low for some freeriding

very very happy camper

only wished i did it earlier
What SIze is the Titec post? Does it creak like the stock EA50?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.