Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I recently picked up a Nomad and am enjoying it immensely. The only thing I'm not enjoying is dropping the chain. I am dropping the chain down between the iscg tabs and the small ring. I don't really wanna run a chain guide, does anyone make a plate that would fit up to the iscg tabs the keeps the chain from going down into them?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Adjust your front D, make sure your ring isn't bent with missing or bent teeth, and make sure your chain doesn't have a small twist somewhere. Even one or two links slightly out of true can cause issues.. I've been pounding my nomad for almost 2 years now and I've dropped my chain once or twice at most. It's not the nomad.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
After using a couple of different chainguide systems, like you I didn't want the drag of a roller or guide block. For just stopping the chain from dropping to the ISCG tabs or BB shell, you can just use a drop plate. It's nothing but an aluminum plate that clamps under the driveside BB cup or made to bolt to an ISCG. It's simple, and it works.

Depending on where and how you ride, people can get different results on chain dropping without any chain retention device. Some need a full chainguide system for chain "flail" that actually allows the chain to change cogs in the rear. For others a simple drop plate will work to stop drop at the crank. Other things can come into play from chain length, what gear setup you ride in, front der. setup, and others. One blanket doesn't have to fit all.

Attachments

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
slimat99 said:
Adjust your front D, make sure your ring isn't bent with missing or bent teeth, and make sure your chain doesn't have a small twist somewhere. Even one or two links slightly out of true can cause issues.. I've been pounding my nomad for almost 2 years now and I've dropped my chain once or twice at most. It's not the nomad.
Right, itz a combo of thingz that tend to come together quite often for me as well. Just th right position, frame compression, movement, shiftin, trail position, etc....it all playez a part in it. My VP Free & my Nomad both do it. I'm gonna make a new bk plate for my e13 Hiem guide that will incorporate th upper portion of TNC'z plate. :D Good stuff TNC.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. i guess i'll make some adjustments and see how it goes.

Man w/ one hand- Were you at kitsuma about two weeks ago? I think I saw you there.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
chromejesus said:
Thanks for the replies guys. i guess i'll make some adjustments and see how it goes.

Man w/ one hand- Were you at kitsuma about two weeks ago? I think I saw you there.
Yassiree, that wuz me. :D Made two killer runz down Heartbreak, I love that trail (th pic iz of me on my VP Free crossin th creek at th btm). How wuz Kitsuma? Haven't ridden it in a few yrz. I read on th NC mtbr page that there was some "work" done to th dh section.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the "work" took some of th efun out of riding Kitsuma but still a fun trail. I agree that is a nice picture.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
MWOH, I call bull. I could find a pic like that on the internet and claim it was me too.:lol:

That is a cool pic.:D

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
TNC said:
MWOH, I call bull. I could find a pic like that on the internet and claim it was me too.:lol:

That is a cool pic.:D
HA!! Finally a ridin pic of my arm in action !!! :ciappa: A buddy of mine caught me crossin th creek. I jumped a rock and landed in th middle of the creek and the pic is just before I rolled up th otherside.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had this problem too, so I decided to try a blackspire stinger. This solved the chain drop problem, but I was catching the roller/backplate on things because it had to sit pretty low in order to clear the lower chainstay on these bikes. After seeing the low pro set up of the straightline guide, I decided to try and replicate it in a dual ring set up.

I could have gone out and bought the replacement pieces from that system and retrofit it to the blackspire, but I decided to just make one from an old e-13 bashguard I had lying around. To get the right width, I doubled up the bashguard, and then cut one side down by about a 1/3. I then cut/filed the backplate so that it didn't hang down as far, and voila, this custom guide is the result. The benefit is that it basically doesn't rub at all in the granny gear, so its fairly quite when pedalling up steeper hills. The downside is that its not the most quiet set up in the larger "middle" chainring. I figure this is a worthwhile trade off when riding more AM as opposed to XC trails.

The result: No dropped chains, and no more chainslap (or at least way less violent).

Tools used: drill, file, hacksaw, and patience.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I should add that because the backplate sits at around the same height as the granny when mounted to the ISCG tabs, there is no way for the chain to get between the granny and the ISCG tabs anymore. This was beginning to be quite the problem for me, as I had gotten my chain stuck in there on numerous occasions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.