Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is somewhat similar to the 5.5 vs 6 pack thread, but enough different that I didn't want to hijack that one.

I have a 05 6 Pack with a TNT rear triangle that replaced the HL under warranty. Frame is large and the front fork is an 06 Fox 36RC2 Vanilla w/ A2C of 545mm. The bike is great for climbing and moderate tech, but when it gets really gnarly and drops get much over 4', it starts feeling awfully "Tall and steep". Ideally there is some easy way to drop the BB and therefore slightly slacken the front without changing fork? I've seen some comments on changing rockers, but which ones and does the hadling change much? Any help would be appreciated. Too long to deal with it the way it is until the new RFX and my highline is overbuilt for a lot of what I'd like to ride on my Pack. Thanks.

ES

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
You can either get a pre-2008 5 spot/flux/burner rear end, you could get a custom shock that's a tad shorter i2i or you could get eccentric shock reducers.

_MK

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
There are better experts out there than me on this but since this has allot of us interested and unfortunately at the moment parts are scarce, though Ive had a moment of brilliance!

DT or PUSH remake the shorter Spot seat stays ltd edition, I'm sure there is a market for Spot, FLux and SS or 5Pack RFX SS mini DH or just slacker RFXs ld school, and we going to need warranty an replacements sooner or later!

Same with rockers 5.5 seem to be the best in terms of looks function and reliability, Frankenturnerability! this would be pretty cool :thumbsup:

Best setup is hard to know as everyone's experiment may or may not suit your needs?

1: Replace the rear RFX seat stays with 06 or earlier 5Spot stays [ 07/08 are the same as RFX]

These are shorter, Ive measured mine!, use older 5pot rockers or later 5.5 rockers! DT please make more, don't forget us old schoolers!

This will slacken the HA and lower the BB and maintain the wheel base and keep the strong RFX chain stays! Something I hope to do at some stage!

2: Replace RFX seat stays and chain stays with 06 or earlier 5spot/flux CS/SS stays this will shorten WB and lower BB, slacken HA apparently it will be a cornering demon and is the hot setup!

Cornering is not an issue for me or drops so shorter WB is not for me, I like DH cornering style not XC so slack and lower BB already helps with this and longer WB maintains stability @ speed for me, and the stronger CS is always a bonus!

I can't remember, I'm sure it is but is the 08 CS compatible with Pack and 06 frames guy's?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Rockers will not do what you want to any significance (at least for the rockers of the vintage of the frame). The newer spot rockers might make a small change but I dont think much. The leverage ratio of the 08 pack rockers would just shorten your travel..

I think the best you will get is to find a 5 spot tnt seat stay, that will drop your bb to close to 14", that is the best combo I could find.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,852 Posts
Change

The

Fork.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. A shorter wheelbase would be fine. I have been riding a friends medium 6 pack and like how it can rail the corners and is quite flickable off hits. The downside is for climbing the top tube is just too short and I don't want to put a longer stem on because then it would lose too much freeridability.

The 5.5 rockers is an interesting idea. I'm not real concerned about losing up to 1" of rear travel. I would rather not change the fork just yet. I'm sure there is some sort of compromise. I may give Greg a call at Turner and see if they have anything laying around that would do the trick, but I would appreciate whatever additional suggestions you all have. Thanks.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Rockers won't do the trick since your sagged BB will be higher with 5.5 rockers than the RFX rockers.

_MK

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Rockers

If it's similar to my 6 pack prototype DT set me up with a set of post 6 pack RFX rockers that dropped the BB 1" to 14". Only 4 of my frame were made as a proto between the original RFX and the 6 Pack so call Turner for the real answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.